Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceejay77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Amending a Tax Return
    I am truly a novice at this (filing tax returns) so it was a big shock when I rec'd in the mail a 1099 Misc after I had already filed my federal return. Now I have to file an amended tax return and I am having trouble doing so. My 1099 Misc amount was $2,500. I cannot believe that now I owe almost $800 because of this. I am a Senior, age 65, and sure don't have that kind of money. It was for a gambling debt my grandson ran up on the internet but it was in my name. The place won't give me an amended return - they threatened a felony against my grandson! Help, please.:confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 02:00 PM
    It should NOT be a Form 1099-MISC, but rather a Form 1099-C or 1099-A.

The income would be reported on Line #21 of Form 1040 as "Other Income".

You CAN legally disavow the income and Internet debt, but only at the risk of putting that debt under your grandson's name, which is where it belongs.

As to whether the Internet gaming company can actually put a felony against your grandson is highly questionable, since Internet gambling is ILLEGAL in most states.

You need to seek legal advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amending a return [ 5 Answers ]

I needed to amend my 2006 return, but now I need to send in my 1040x. My question is do I need to send in my original return along with my amended return or is the amended return good enough? Also what is the correct postage for this?

Amending 2004 NM taxes return. [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about amending my 2004 NM tax return? I ask because I lived here the last half of the year and did not attach a PIT-B to my PIT-1 return, which I was confused about, and now NM is coming after me for taxes on income I earned in AZ because of what I put on my Federal return.

Amending a return [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I filed federal tax online, now I realise that if I file jointly I would be eligible for refund, how can I correct my filing status- Thanks Bindu

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

Please help - amending tax returns - wrong forms (1040) filed [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to these forums - but seeing the responses, I am sure that I will get some much needed advice. My situtation is this: I was an Indian Student on F1 from July 2003 to April 2006. (My H1-B visa was approved to become effective from April 2006.) I...

View more questions Search