Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whitegloveplus2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 03:03 PM
    New Cleaning Business
    I have started a new cleaning business. I have researched as many ways as I have knowledge to market my business. I have business cards, post cards sent to mailing lists, word of mouth, website, online yellow page ad and so on and so forth. I only have one client and can not figure what to do to acquire more clients. I do not charge more than the norm. However, I am not receiving phone calls so I can't quote anyone anyway. Any ideas?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whitegloveplus2
    I have started a new cleaning business. I have researched as many ways as I have knowledge to market my business. I have business cards, post cards sent to mailing lists, word of mouth, website, online yellow page ad and so on and so forth. I only have one client and can not figure what to do to aquire more clients. I do not charge more than the norm. However, I am not receiving phone calls so I can't quote anyone anyway. Any ideas?

I see business cards on a special board at my local supermarket and always see people looking through them - is that an option for you?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Do you have a catchy name?
    Did you try including something that makes you stand out from the crowd
    Like a list of things you do

Something like

We will even do
    -upon request-
    Dishes
    Laundry
    Windows
    Some yard work
    Run errands

Maybe even do a referral thing like if you know landlords, plumbers, landscapers,.
    Ask them if they can refer you and if you run across somebody that can use (their service)
    You will refer them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 03:34 PM
    A new business is hard to start, often most seldon make profits for their first year. Flyers in the select areas left on peoples door, and more
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 02:01 AM
    Please see the following link on this site concerning online advertising. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...ng-103010.html

I have a number of small businesses that I run. Most of my business comes from the free advertising that I post on the Internet. How you word your ads on a website is paramount to how much people are going to find your ads for what you do.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 09:31 PM
    Not sure if your business is residential, commercial or both? There is a lot that you can do and the above posts gave you good advice.

I started a full service commercial cleaning company fifteen years ago and did all the things mentioned above by you and the other posters.

However if I had to pick the one thing that got my company started and still makes it successful is that I didn't wait for the clients to come to me. I was out every day knocking on doors, lots of doors. And a lot of those doors were "slammed" in my face, it didn't matter. I had to succeed so I kept pounding away. Found several companies to bid and won two of those contracts. I knew I could do this.

Always be looking for prospects, always... the blood of your business! Always work for the client and put their needs first and you will find success.

As for me, I found a niche (this can bring you quicker success), I do mostly medical cleaning. This type of cleaning carries a lot of responsibility and you must keep up with all the current medical cleaning procedures, especially with things out there like MRSA.

Another challenge you will face down the road is relinquishing authority over every aspect of the company to those you put in charge. In the beginning you have to be a "minute manager", as you get larger you must delegate, believe me this is not easy.

There are five Basic Management principles: and I have always run my companies (3 now) following them.

PLANNING (You must have a Business Plan, an Action Plan and a "forecast Plan)

ORGANIZING (Those Plans and the day to day operation)

STAFFING (Vital that you have the right people in the right positions, don't get locked in to people you like or family)

CONTROLLING(Assign responsibilities, duties, etc)

FEEDBACK (Check on as much as you can, set up Inspection Reports, Financial reports/budgets, client P R visits by you during the day if cleaning is at night, etc)

Now my company invoices over $5M per year and we employ over 400 people. It is easier now, but you have to really want it, love it and believe that you are the very best at what you do and prove it.

If I may be of any further assistance please let me know. You can do this.

Stringer
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 08:40 AM
    You might even want to expand your ideas and ask landlords and real estates if you can clean out their apartments after evictions and advertise to clean office buildings.
    I even offer to clean up after construction crews but you have to have a truck and charge them for the landfill.
    treebew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 04:07 AM
    Get a fax machine/ copier this will save you money make up flyers take them to houses that can afford your service. I have a cleaning biasness I'm new I now have 5 clients use your fax machine to fax flyer to realastate offices. Simple ad in paper. You can by signs for your car for advertising from vista print for about 28.00 a pair that's good for business. Wish you well in your succes you can make good money. Theresa pro-bee cleaning service Delaware.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Just a word for insurance purposes here. If you do have a sign or signs on your work vehicle, it might and can make a difference as to what you will pay in insurance on the work vehicle.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Just a word for insurance purposes here. If you do have a sign or signs on your work vehicle, it might and can make a difference as to what you will pay in insurance on the work vehicle.

And in my area you cannot park a vehicle with signage "out in public" which means it has to be garaged at your own home - it's considered advertising.

Amazing but true!

My ex-husband used magnetic signs so he could put them on and take them off.
    clubtwo0 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Have you considered becoming a franchise cleaner for a company that finds the clients for you?
    I work for a business that does that. If you want more info let me know it may help you become more profitable and you can also find your own clients too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning business [ 2 Answers ]

How do I start my own cleaning service

Cleaning business [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to start a cleaning business. How do I get started? INS. BONDS, LICENSE ECT.

It says that I have to file a "Federal Employee Identification Number" (FEIN). I have no Idea what this is and where to get one---Can you help?

Cleaning business [ 1 Answers ]

I to am getting ready to start my own cleaning business here in Ohio. In my area there are not a lot of bigger cleaning businesses, I do know that there are a few of the one or two person operations. None of which are listed in any local directory. So I know where I need to first start the...

Im a young lady from nottingham and I want to start my own cleaning business asap but I don't have money. I have heard that you can start by just getting your cleaning products. Is this true? Could any 1 give me a number for any where that could help me? Please let me no bearring in mind I'm rom...

View more questions Search