Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christoph shaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 03:09 AM
    Lead pipe replacement
    I've bought a house in Chorlton in manchester. The house is a middle terrace and has a stop tap approximately 10 metres from the house boundary and the street. I have a builder renovating the house who informed me that there are lead pipes connecting to the water supply and he has alerted me to the health problems with lead. He suggested I contact United Utilities to replace the pipes however their recommended company for pipe replacement gave me a high price for this procedure;

Removing lead and replacing with new pipe work and installing new stop tap will cost £470.00 + v.a.t
    Connecting to the street supply and shutting off the old supply will cost a further £200.00 + Vat
    Is this a fair price? Can you advise on who to call to get a better quote. Can a regular plumber carry out this work?

Regards

C
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 05:36 AM
    I can't begin to say if the price is reasonable. Most plumbers do pipe work. Replacing the supply pipe also means digging up the old one. Likely the high priced contractor would have 2 trades on the job. I see some banner ads here for repiping, slipping new pipes inside the old. If you can find somebody in your area to do that, you could ask for a quote. Cuts out all the digging.

A month ago we had a UK plumber, but I haven't see any posts for a while. He could better answer than any of us in the US. We need him for the UK questions here. We could use a UK electrician too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lead Pipe/cast iron [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I just removed drywall to fix a drain from a bathroom sink. I found 1.5" soft lead pipe from the p-trap to a 3" hub on the cast iron stack. Can I use some kind of coupler from the lead pipe to new plastic or do I need to replace the entire length of pipe? If I need to replace, what's a good...

Offset closet flange, lead soil pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I've reviewed a bunch of questions/answers on this forum and have some ideas, but my problem is pretty specific, so I figured I'd describe it and hope for the best. (BTW, I'm totally impressed with the quality of responses on this forum!) Re-doing a half-bath, but did not plan ahead too well,...

Stack pipe replacement [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having some outside drainage problems repaired and the contractor has told me that the stack pipe, which is outside, is in the way and that it will have to be relocated inside my house. Now the problem is that most of my interior walls are plaster over brick as my house is anout 110 years old....

Disentegrated (Possibly Lead) pipe in concrete slab for S-trap [ 5 Answers ]

1-1/4 trap broke off level with the slab in my ground floor BR. Listening to bad advise, I tried prying away the remainder of the trap in the floor, now what appears to be soft soft lead pipe has tottally disintegrted and I see down to the dirt and the remainder of the pipe under the slab. I...

Replacing lead pipe with pvc [ 9 Answers ]

The lead pipe and drain from my father-in-laws' bathroom is leaking and needs to be replaced. I'm tempted to just remove all of the lead (only a few feet) and cast iron all the way to the entry into the main discharge. Currently the 2 pieces of cast iron have a leaded seal. How do I connect...

View more questions Search