Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KellyG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Kitchen sink won't drain/SLOW drain
    Hopefully this is one of those questions with an obvious answer...

I have a two-side kitchen sink with a disposal on one side. The sink began to get backed up once in a while, then the other day as I was running the disposal, all the water and gunk and food backed up into the other side of the sink. When I turned the disposal off, the water leveled out to both sides of the sink and didn't drain at all until the next day.

This is what I've tried:
    1. Drano - when the sink was empty, left it standing for 1 hour and then flushed with hot water. After a couple of minutes, it began to back up again and there was standing water until that evening (slow drain)

2. Took the pipes (all PVC) apart under the sink to make sure everything is clear; it is.

3. Seems the problem is either with the disposal, since that's when the backup starts (running the disposal) or further down the line outside the kitchen pipes.

HELP! I am now washing my dishes in the bathtub!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Hi Kelly

Problem is in the drain pipes for sure. I would like you to go purchase a hand snake from the local home supply store ( hand held should be a good start) and since you said you got pipes apart under sink it should not be hard for you to remove again and snake the drain line. I will tell you all you need to know to do that when you let me know you have the snake.

FOR NOW... fill both sinks with water to say 2 inches deep. Then with a friend's help... I want you to plunge that sink. HERE's the TRICK!

Have friend cover the drain over disposal with a towel (2 inches water in sink), then you start to plunge... it is all about the pull up here... not so much the push... but push, too. Get good suction.. and go for it... this should help... may even fix... let me know. Don't be afraid to try reversing sides... friend on sink side, you on disposal side with plunger... can't hurt. BUT start with you at sink, first. AND KEEP WATER IN SINK AT ALL TIMES YOU ARE PLUNGING.

If that doesn't do much go get that snake and get back to me so I can discuss that quickly... there is a vent on the sinks that can complicate snaking the drain... so, like I said, let me know what is happening... Mark

Oh!! AND WATCH YOUR EYES WHEN PLUNGING...MAY STILL HAVE DRANO IN THAT WATER!!! (WEAR SAFETY GLASSES IF YOU HAVE THEM).
    lauyl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 10:58 PM
    Massplumber2008 - thanks for your advice! I have been battling our clogged sink since thins morining. After drano and a snake still nothing. Then we got to plunging and plunging and plungind some more! And all of a sudden it worked! If it wasn't for your advice I would have given up on the plunging a long time ago! Thanks again!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 04:27 AM
    Glad it helped! Thanks for letting us know!
    relaxinto Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 06:12 PM
    massplumber2008... what about if there is a dishwasher on the same drain? (V= vent, D=dishwasher, S=sink, G=garburator). I have snaked, I have drano'd... someone clearly dropped in onions and potato skin... that much I can tell... but I can't finish the job.

V
    l D S G
    l l l l
    l /--------------
    l l
    ------- l
    \_/

Nov 10, 2009, 06:13 PM
    massplumber2008... what about if there is a dishwasher on the same drain? I have snaked, I have drano'd... someone clearly dropped in onions and potato skin... that much I can tell... but I can't finish the job. See diagram... (V= vent, D=dishwasher, S=sink, G=garburator).

V
    l D S G
    l l l l
    l /--------------
    l l
    ------- l
    \_/
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Hey Relaxinto:

Did you remove the plug from the bottom of the PTRAP.. If not, remove the plug and see if water drains from the sink(s). Be clear that water will drain out the PTRAp , for sure, but is the blockage BEFORE the trap or AFTER the trap?

Determine this and then get back to us.. O.K.?

MARK

Nov 10, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Diagram didn't show properly.
    Attached Images

Nov 10, 2009, 06:22 PM

Just one problem... we had a problem with the vent getting trapped behind a wall when renovating, and the solution was to trap it in the floor/basement ceiling which is now drywalled. I would have checked the trap but it means breaking the drywall. If pulling down some ceiling is the only solution to check the trap, then so be it.
    Snemelka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Thank you both for posting this question and answer. I had the same problem, and the plunger solution worked like a charm--even after even lye and snaking didn't.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Always glad to hear an old post revived and still helping!

Thank you for posting!

MARK
    jcrump55 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 02:22 PM

I have replaced the previous pipes with a disposal arm from the disposal and a flanged tailpipe from the 2nd sink to a center outlet continuous waste assembly. Per recommendation from a local hardware store rep, who also said he is a licensed plumber, I did this as a slight drop (hense using the disposal arm pipe) to the assembly. It is then tied directly into the P Trap and inlet pipes coming from wall through the back of the cabinet.
    It has not resolved why water still stands in the disposal and in the new pipe. There are no blockages, but water will not drain. What am I doing wrong?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 05:53 PM
    Jcrump...

What makes you think there is no blockage... certainly sounds like the drain is clogged? Post back and we'll see if we can help you to resolve this.

Let me know.. OK?

MARK
    jcrump55 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 08:23 PM

Mark,
    I appreciate the help. I found that the previous owner had not properly installed the pipe coming in from the wall and it had came lose. I called a professional yesterday and had them handle the repairs. Better safe than sorry.
    Thanks again.
    JCRUMP55

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow drain in un-vented kitchen sink [ 4 Answers ]

We re-modeled our kitchen, changing the sink from a double to a single bowl. It is located in the same spot as previously, with a dishwasher connected. No disposal. There is no vent in this part of the house - the sink drain goes about 20 feet before joining into the main drain under the...

Slow kitchen sink drain [ 11 Answers ]

Hello -- I've been battling a slow kitchen sink drain for some time now. After watching someone successfully unclog a sink drain with a hose and a blast of hot water, I tried it a few times to no avail. Every time I think I fix the drain, I close the pipes up and it's slow again. I read...

Slow drain in double kitchen sink with inline vent [ 29 Answers ]

Hi Just moved to a new place, and lovin' it -- except for the kitchen sink. It drains very slow, and backs up into both bowls. I dismantled the whole construction, but no clogging in the PVC-pipes. There was a Studor Redi-Vent installed, see STUDOR (R) inVENTive Technology (TM) - Air...

Kitchen sink drain very slow [ 7 Answers ]

My kitchen sink is a twin sink with one p-trap. I removed the dishwasher and replaced the one piece of drain that connects it to the sink. Ever since the drain has been very very slow(about 45 minutes to an hour to drain). I tried a snake in the sink with no luck. Should I try to snake the clean...

Kitchen sink slow to drain (sometimes) [ 2 Answers ]

So I just finished a total gut and redo in the kitchen. Everything is working perfectly (drains nice and clean, etc.) and I was happy of a job done right. My wife comes to tell me the sink is backed up and draining VERY slowly. I turn on the disposal and WHAM! The sink is empty again. I can...

View more questions Search