Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    douger2006 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 11:34 PM
    I am retired US Coast Guard, questions welcome.
    I am retired Chief Electrician in the US Coast Guard. If there are young adults thinking on joining, you can ask me about it. I will give you the best answer I can. I am not a recruiter, so I will not try to recruit you. I won't steer you wrong, and I will not try to discourage you. I will just give you a few tips and answer you the best I can. Some recruiters make promises that don't always happen. Over all I am very happy I made the decision to join and fulfill my goal to retire. I had the opportunity to live places and see things I would have never gotten to do, if I had just stayed in my town working a normal job.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 03:01 AM
    Besides the opportunity to live in places and see things that you might not have gotten the opportunity to see what would be some of the other advantages to joining the U.S. Coast Guard?
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Mar 11, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Nice one to add. I will say that I am still enlisted for 12 years and still going strong. Done it all in the combat arms. You name it? DID IT. All questions are welcome.
    JP317 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by douger2006
    I am retired Chief Electrician in the US Coast Guard. If there are young adults thinking on joining, you can ask me about it. I will give you the best answer I can. I am not a recruiter, so I will not try to recruit you. I won't steer you wrong, and I will not try to discourage you. I will just give you a few tips and answer you the best I can. Some recruiters make promises that don't always happen. Over all I am very happy I made the decision to join and fullfill my goal to retire. I had the opportunity to live places and see things I would have never gotten to do, if I had just stayed in my town working a normal job.
    My husband is considering joining... I'm worried that he will rarely be home. Were you married while serving? Even if not, how often can I expect to see him or not see him. He probably won't join the officer program because he hasn't finished college. He's thinking of rescue swimmer but I doubt that's very realistic.
    chels2350 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by douger2006
    I am retired Chief Electrician in the US Coast Guard. If there are young adults thinking on joining, you can ask me about it. I will give you the best answer I can. I am not a recruiter, so I will not try to recruit you. I won't steer you wrong, and I will not try to discourage you. I will just give you a few tips and answer you the best I can. Some recruiters make promises that don't always happen. Over all I am very happy I made the decision to join and fullfill my goal to retire. I had the opportunity to live places and see things I would have never gotten to do, if I had just stayed in my town working a normal job.
    If you are in the coast guard, what should you expect for working times? Also, is there deployment and would this be a good job to pursue with a family at home?

Thanks.
    jjasrob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 02:22 PM

Hey Douger, I am also retired from the United States Coast Guard. I am a Chief Yeoman. I think this is a good thing that you are doing because, you are right, Recruiters don't always tell it like it really is. There are some tough things to go through but all in all the U. S. Coast Guard is a fine organization to build a career in and you get to go many places and meet many new friends all over the world. I never regretted joining and would go back tomorrow if I could.
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Dec 4, 2008, 09:15 PM

I was recommended to go in Coast Guard by a Naval Commander Chaplain. I would like know more about the bootcamp and rates.

Also, what are differences in Coast Guard as opposed to other service branches?
    jayhon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 10:39 AM
    Can I just ask you a question. My boyfriend is Coast Guard. He's an AMT 3. We are at Elizabeth City Airstation right now and he is being transferred to Kodiak. Well, he got an email saying he is making 2nd in July and they had him do his application as a 2nd class. Well, he got his orders and now they are telling him he has to live in the barracks. We were told that he would get off base housing as an E-5. So now we're at a delima (we also have two dogs). We don't want to get married just for the convenience, but what other option do we have? Do you think they would make an exception?
    ldenardo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2010, 03:15 PM

My 18 year old son will graduate High School in June. His long term goal is to be a Paramedic. Is the Coast Guard able to help him achieve this goal? He has been accepted to a number of colleges and he's not sure of what direction to take. Thank you.
    NAJ329 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2010, 03:37 PM

First id like to thank you for serving

I recently contacted a CG recruiter because I'm interested in enlisting. He told me pretty much all that's open is reserves which I'm OK with because I have a baby on the way which leads me to my first question..

Do I need a waiver for a dependent when I'm legaly single? I'm with my girlfriend but not married

Also I need a medical waiver for my shoulder. When I was at football camp the summer before 10th grade I dislocated my shoulder and got surgery. I have I believe its 4 permanent anchors. Now I had a waiver from the army when I was in their DEP which didn't workout because of contract issues, but he said I need a new one because it can't carry over.

What are the chances of me getting the waiver? The recrutier said he can't guarantee it will.

Keep in mind I'm fully healed for years now. I workout every day and can do pushups pullups dips weight lifting you name it and I never failed a PFT/PT test

Thanks for the help Chief
    NAJ329 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2010, 03:37 PM

Ps sorry about the typo. Chief** :P
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 05:09 PM
    Just so others know who continue to post on this thread...

It's now old and archived, so not generally visible.

Plus, douger2006 hasn't returned to respond to anything on it in over two years.
    robbie1992 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 07:08 PM
    I have a question...
    Im a senior in high school ill be graduating in 2 months and I was wanting to join the coast guard. Now the question is will I go in as a higher rank if I have 2 or 4 year degree and if so how much does it actually help? Thanks for your time.
    jgamage93 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 09:50 AM
    I'm 17 and graduating from the last class at my school do you think that I should join coast guard or navy?
    coastywife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 09:58 AM
    Chief, my question isn't about getting into the USCG, mine is as a the wife of a ETC, what are the job opportunities after retirement? Are there business who look for retired ETs with 20+ years? Any information would be great! Thanks!
    packersmark08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 07:35 PM
    I have a question what all do you do as far as work in the coast guard so I have some idea on what I'm getting into and I'm talking about the electrical aspect of it because I just got out of a technical school for electrical and I really want to be a electrician in the coast guard
    rpalbo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2011, 09:11 AM
    Rules merchant marine office can operated ship on 12 hour shift,on offshore vessel, but C.O.I differ on ever vessel, but to run 24hr shift you need other captain or mate is able to take over,but leaves you with less people on shift and mate has 100 ton 200 mate. Captain has 200 master,mate on 200 ton vessel. 1# I need other captain to work more than 12 hrs shilt. 2# is 100 ton 200mate licence able to run other shift. Coi said one cpatain ,one mate,one ab,one os, boat can travel 600 mile or 12hour from safe harber. Second part coi more than 600 miles you need captain, 2 mates 2 abs,os. But 3# can I still run more than 12 hr shift or I can run 24hr shift we crew

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accreditation of California coast university [ 21 Answers ]

Does anyone know if California Coast University is accredited? It says it is but I don't want to get stuck with a Master's Degree from a school with no accreditation.

Rockbound Coast painting by Constantin Westchiloff [ 3 Answers ]

The title of the painting is Rockbound Coast and I can't see any signature on it but on the back is a paper article and a picture about this painting. On the paper picture it has a number 4. It appears to be oil. Is this painting anything special or of any value?

East Coast Universities/Colleges [ 3 Answers ]

I am considering going to an east coast college. My dream college is Brown but I need to keep my options open. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to other universities.

View more questions Search