Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grahamd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 10:33 PM
    No compete agreement
    I am in the process of buying a wholesale company in Illinois
    I've been with my current employer for 17 years and still currently employed
    I honestly do not remember if I signed such an agreement.
    I started working on counter sales and now a sales rep,but they cut my commissions,and gave some of my accounts to another sales rep,not too happy .
    Now I'm worried if I buy this company I could get sued ,I'm in the hvac business
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 11:16 PM
    I think you sign that when you terminate with the company.
    No compete usually have a time of a couple years so if you did sign it it was probably long enough ago that it would not be effective depending on the wording.
    The no compete has stuff like you can not start a competitive business within a 30 mile radius
    Is the business you are starting one that WOULD be competition to your current employer?

You should start by looking up the laws for your state.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Hello Graham:

Well, you're either going to have to ask them or just go for it. Even if they sued you, many non-compete agreements aren't enforceable in court.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Most companies have you sign a non compete when you start work, or move into certain positions. They include not giving or selling any of their info and not going to work or starting your own company. They have a time frame from the time you leave that company and normally have a amount of miles around that business. So if you are moving 100 miles away, there should be no issue.

If you are moving in down the street and will be calling and trying to steal their customers, yes you can have a serious issue if you signed one.

So you need to ask your HR department to allow you to review your personnel file and see if you have one. Also you may have to ask HR if there is one ( in case they are filed in another area)

Almost every higher dollor sales job I have ever had, had me to sign one.

And many will not hold up in court either, I have seen several go to court, some win, some don't

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non compete agreement [ 1 Answers ]

About 10-12 years ago, I was given a non compete agreement by my employer in St.Johns NL. At that time the contract stated that if I didn't sign it my employment would be terminated. A short while after I was given another one to sign because the first one was no good. The second one didn't say...

Non-Compete Agreement (URGENT) [ 3 Answers ]

In Oct of 2005 I signed a non-compete agreement with my former employer. I resigned after a 1yr due to major differences and just being unhappy. I sought employment elsewhere and found an opening at a competitor in Dec 2006. During my resignation my former employer was well aware of the fact...

Non compete [ 3 Answers ]

How To Get Out Of A Non-compete Agreement.

Can I get out of my non-compete? [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I signed a non-compete when I first got into real estate. The company I work for is a bit specialized in that we only sell condo conversions investments. Because the company is specialized, does that mean I can't work for another similar company? A cousin of mine is going to open the a real...

Non-compete agreement [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if a non-compete agreement is legally binding in Pennsylvania in sales

View more questions Search