Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inspired Posts: 178, Reputation: 22

Mar 8, 2008, 10:06 PM
    Break Pads for Honda
    How often do I need to change my breakpads on my Honda? My car has about 85K miles on it. I bought it new and have changed the front and rear breakpads 3 times already. Every time I change them, it costs me about 450 for both the front and rear break pads and the resurfacing of the roters. I always get this done at honda and they offer me a 12,000 mile warranty on the pads. It just seems that the pads keep wearing out. I am not sure if I am getting ripped off and should go somewhere else other than honda. There are places that offer free break pad changes for life (like minakee or one of those other tire and break shops). Is 10-15 thousand miles reasonable for having to change the break pads? Should I go somewhere else other than Honda to get the pads changed? Am I getting ripped off?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
    10-15K on brake pads is completely out of line! At 85K, there is no reason that you should have replaced either the fronts or the rears more than once! Go to an independent shop and have them check over the car to make sure there's nothing more serious; if not, then have them repair the brakes. I would report that dealer to the BBB.

Mar 10, 2008, 06:09 PM
    What's the BBB? I would like "thegreasemonkey" to answer this question please. I know that he has worked with hondas for a while.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 06:21 PM
    My 1993 Honda Civic has 123,000 miles on it and I have not had to replace the front pads or rear shoes yet; however, I check pad and shoe thickness regularly. I do bleed the brakes every 24 months and have greased the caliper pins with silicone grease. I'm not a fan of automatically resurfacing disks. It can be a source of lateral runout, as the disk is machined to the axis of the lathe, not the axis of the spindle. Even if all of your driving is in the city, I would think you could get 40,000 miles on a set of pads/shoes.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 05:47 AM
    BBB stands for the Better Business Bureau. You can report a business if they have been improperly serving you, as the Honda dealer has been doing repeatedly.

Mar 11, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Thanks for all of your help This8384 and thegreasemonkey. The first time I had to change my brake pads (both front and back) was after 40K miles ( I bought my car new). The second time I had to change it was when I had about 68K miles. The third time will be now, my car has 90K miles. I drive a lot more since the 40k mile change because I switched jobs. I drive about 2 hours round trip a day and most of the driving is on the street, therefore I have a tendency to ride my breaks. Could this be the problem?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Yes. Stick with the Honda pads and shoes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pee Pads [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a yorkie he is 9 weeks. My husband and I leave him for 8 hours when we go to work.We have a space gated off for him with toys,bed,water and his pee pad. He just starting eating his pee pad. I come home it's all over his gated area. What should I do?

CHI detox pads. [ 2 Answers ]

Not sure if this is the right place to post about this. Has anyone tried them? I'm thinking of buying them for my mother. She has arthritis and high blood pressure. Will it help her?

Shoulder Pads? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I was wondering about the rules of shoulder pads lately. Of course I wore them with EVERYTHING in the early 90's, but then learned to accept my little shoulders. However, now I have a post-baby body. I am back to a 6, but my shoulders are narrow and droopy and with my new hips, I look silly in...

Changing Break Pads [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change my break pads?

View more questions Search