Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anumeh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Want to claim parents from India as dependents
    Hi, I have read many posts on this website for claiming parents as dependents for tax filing in U.S. I want to present my case since I am not able to conclude whether I can claim my parents or not:

1) I am an Indian Citizen working on H1B in U.S. I am single -unmarried yet and I need to file 1040 fed form for taxes.

2) My parents came in June 2007 and then stayed until 2008. My parents are also Indian citizens and they were here on visitors visa. My parents don't have any ITIN or any SSN of any sort. They were just plain visitors in U.S.

3) I was responsible for all their stay in US. They didn't earn anything in US.

Now, can I still claim them as dependents for my taxes?

Thanks
    Anumeh
    Lon Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Mar 9, 2008, 08:43 AM
    No - the qualifying relative must be a US Citizen, US National, or a resident of the United States, Canada, or Mexico

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1 with family not in US to claim as dependents [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I am an H1B, I came here in US June 2007, I have wife and kids in the philippines, I have apply them for H4 but still pending. Can I claim them as my dependents? If yes, what are the documents I need to do that. Thanks, Reyn

Can I claim my parents as dependents on my tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I am a H1 holder. My parents came to visit me from China since last October. Is it possible for me to claim them as dependents on my 2007 tax return?

Retired, receiving social security benefits, can I claim 3 dependents and get money? [ 3 Answers ]

My father is retired and only collects about $900 a month in social security benefits (his only income) and has 3 kids under the age of 18, can he still claim them as 3 dependents and get money even though his social security benefits are not taxable? Thanks.

Can visiting parents be claimed as dependents [ 9 Answers ]

Can parents on visitor visa lived in usa for 170 days in yr 2006 be claimed as dependent for yr 2006 If yes now can I sumit their form w-7 application for itin along with my form 1040 in April 2007 if they are back to india currently?

Claim Standard deduction under US-INDIA treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was in the US on H1 VISA and am filing my returns as a non-resident alien. Can I claim Standard deduction of $5150 instead of itemized deductions under the US-INDIA treaty.

View more questions Search