Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davisongal Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Got to figure out washer problem before hubby finds out what I did
    Hi -hope someone can help. I washed a cotton quilt batting, which fell apart into a thousand "wads" of cotton, in various sizes and lengths. I pulled out as many as I could find, including some from the holes in the tub of the washer. The washer no longer drains.

I suspect I've plugged something - I pulled the drain hose up, but did not locate a blockage(can't say I checked too well - the exterior of the hose was covered with a gray, nasty slime - what's up with that?). Any suggestions? Am I going to have to admit the MR. what dumb deed I've done now? Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2006, 09:18 PM
    First is he handly with things like this,

You could have course call in a repairman while he is out and let them clean out all of the drains.

And of course silly things like this is what laughs are made of in 10 years. Maybe not this year, but it will be funny latter
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 06:03 AM
    Warned.

I highly doubt the stuff made it to the drain. Did the water over flow where the washer hose goes in it? If not, the problem is in the washer, the pump or its inlet. I had to change the pump on our Whirlpool once. It is actually fairly easy I think. You do have to open up the cabinet. A couple of clips hold the pump on, with the shaft sliding out of its coupling. Maybe you would only need to disconnect the pump from the bottom of the tub. It the tub is still full of water, it may come flooding out. Or you may have to poke around in the cotton to release it. You may have to use a hose to run water backwards through the pump to clear it.

The slime may be due to a long term small leak. The detergent will contribute to the slime as well as whatever finds it an attractive place to live. The leak is likely near the highest place there is slime. Tightening a clamp or a little tape may stop the leak.

I think going behind your husband's back and calling somebody to clean the drains is a very poor idea. Marriage is about trust and sharing. In addition to maybe being angry about clogging the washer, you husband would have the real grievance of going behind his back. I would be very upset if my wife called a service man to do a job I could have done easily. I would be even more upset if she called the wrong type of a service man. You need to check any advice you get here against your common sense. The little green squares are not doing their job showing whose advice to trust.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 06:52 AM
    Hi,
    I have done some things to my washer before very similar; then later, asked myself why. But, then too late!
    There is definitely something stopped up, which could be inside the casing of the washer, not just in the water discharge hose itself.
    The decision to telll your husband can only be made by you, or as suggested, call a repair person to fix it. I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    Please don't be mad at yourself for what you washed; it happens to the best of us!
    davisongal Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 07:21 AM
    Thanks, everyone, for the input. This mess I've created is obviously beyond my limited repair ablities. I'll have to 'fess up to the hubby - I just hate it when I do something stupid that causes him more work. But heck, after twenty some years, we're pretty even in the "did something dumb" department. He'll sputter a little, but not much.

Sure appreciate the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How should I deal with my jealous,insecure hubby? [ 10 Answers ]

I have been with my husband almost 7 years now. We have one son who is 3. The problem is my husband is very, very moody, jealous, insecure and disrespectful. Probably wondering why I even bother to try and save our relationship. Well, all I can say is it is not bad all the time and he really...

Trusting hubby with his ex-wife [ 15 Answers ]

My husband has a son that lives with his girlfriend on the east coast. That son is graduating next month from college. My husband and his ex and their other teenage son are all going out there for the graduation. We can't afford another ticket for me to go. Besides the son hates me, blames me...

Hubby broke the dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a beaumark upper/lower dryer/washer machine. Hubby washed a stack of towels and put them to dry... when he went to get them out, they were still wet and the dryer won't turn on... The washer is still working fine, and I can turn the drum by hand... any clues as to what he did?? Or more...

Sex before marriage ? [ 6 Answers ]

i am a 26 years muslim guy, and i love a girl who is a cousin in my relation ,she is 20 years old, we were best friends since our childhood , but since last three years we love each other, we have done many times oral sex , but as per the islamic rule it is not good , so i m very much tensed...

View more questions Search