Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarryPT Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

May 18, 2006, 03:55 PM
    The only slave that I would have is a sex slave wich isn't illegal. Otherwise a slave that does your dirty work... its so 400 yrs ago. Now in usa you can get sued for even mentioning the word slave.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2006, 07:54 AM
    We are all slaves to our own ignorance.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 20, 2006, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    We are all slaves to our own ignorance.
    I'm not. There's the exception to that blanket statement.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 20, 2006, 08:43 AM
    How about slaves to our checkbook? I know I have to slave away to keep mine full.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Yes, that was a blanket statement and I do not point it at any one person. I just look at the sad shape this world is in and I think it is due to ignorance. Slavery happened because of ignorance. But if not for the slave trade, we would not have had some of the great people whose ancestors were brought here. Miles Davis, a complete genius, Bill Cosby, whom I love dearly, to name just a couple. Oh my, did I forget Sammy Davis Jr. Man that cat could burn down a set of drumms and he was just WAY KOOL BABY!! But look at the suffering it caused. Look at the suffering that still goes on because the powers that be are still practicing the same brand of ignorance. So what is the point of asking the question, " Is it alright to own a slave?" Anyone that asks that question is just plain ignorant in my book whether they say they know it is wrong or not. I think we found the answer to this question years ago. If you are a slave to anything, your job, money, or anything, then that is of your own choosing and you can change it today. That makes you free, not a slave. This thread is ignorant and I will be finished with it now. C-YA.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 24, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryPT
    the only slave that i would have is a sex slave wich isn't illegal. otherwise a slave that does your dirty work....its so 400 yrs ago. now in usa you can get sued for even mentioning the word slave.
    You need to check your knowledge of law. By definition a slave is someone being forced to work without being given a choice. Therefore, using a sex slave is considered rape which is illegal in all civilized countries.

And, no, one cannot be sued just for using the word slave. It would depend on the context as to whether it constitute a legal wrong.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Therefore, using a sex slave is considered rape which is illegal in all civilized countries.
    Not if she consents to it :)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    And, no, one cannot be sued just for using the word slave. It would depend on the context as to whether it constitute a legal wrong.
    I agree.
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Mar 27, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by augustknight
    Of course I know that slavery is wrong. This is a strictly an exercise in philosophical reasoning. It is easy to say the right things but it is far more important to understand why. So the question is; Why shouldn't I be able to own another human being?
    Slavery has existed as long as humans have existed. Working is a form of slavery, being married is a form of slavery. Anything that we are tied to that is necessary to existence is a form of slavery. We are slaves to taxes, etc.

Mar 27, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keenu
    Slavery has existed as long as humans have existed. Working is a form of slavery, being married is a form of slavery. Anything that we are tied to that is necessary to existence is a form of slavery. We are slaves to taxes, etc.
    That is an extremely cynical point of view and one I disagree with.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 01:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by keenu
    ...being married is a form of slavery...
    I feel sorry for your marriage.
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

May 6, 2007, 06:07 PM
    No one may own another person because we are equals.
    That is the fundamental reason why slavery is wrong. It is a 'law' of humanity. We are all well aware of unequality in everyday life. And that is not necessarily immoral. If someone honestly earns riches, he than is entitled to his bounty. Some people are more intelligent than others and thereby may succeed in securing a better position in life. So in some sense we are not equal in all things.
    What is undistillable is that we are all worth the same as humans. We are given life from outside of ourselves. It is not a commodity that can be bought or sold. As such no man can trade in human lives. To do so is immoral.
    I believe that slavery is wrong for essentially the same reasons which you listed, which all boil down to our equality. Yes, some people may earn more or have a higher education than others, but doesn't that mean there's a greater pressure on them to
    Share that knowledge and help others, as opposed to enslaving them in whatever form slavery takes on?
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

May 7, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Yes, maybe I am cynical and I worked very hard to become that way!
    Nothing wrong with my marriage. I was just making an observation that in some circomstances marriage and slavery are similar.

May 8, 2007, 03:41 PM
    You bring up a good point. One that deserves it's own forum. Is charity (not handouts) a moral resposibility of the more fortunate? Especially in this modern 'faceless' society.
    Thanks, Augustknight! I'll put it in another forum, later.
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

May 9, 2007, 08:49 AM
    This is my thoughts on this subject *smiley face*. No one person can be a slave. The only way a person can become a slave is if that person submits to the will of his master and accepts it. If he does not accept it this DOES NOT make him a slave; in turn this makes him a prisoner against his will. The reason I say this is to be a slave you have to be "owned". In my opinion, this means your will is owned to. If it is the will of the person who is to say it is wrong because that's is what he CHOSES to do with his life; although, if this conflicts with the lifes of others, not helping but hurting them then that is when something considered wrong imo(this of course is not linked to everything). However, if one choses to follow with this type of life I don't see how it is being a slave, rather it is a way of life which is the reason for my opening sentence(not the smiley face sentence :P).

May 9, 2007, 02:59 PM
    *** edited, rasist quote by madmike has been deleted****

Wha-wha-what? Now, that is SO untrue! Nobody should be our slaves!

Sad try at humor: If any one should be our slave, it's Lady Luck.

May 9, 2007, 03:14 PM
    [*** posted edited, quote from madmike deleted for its racism and hate speach***

You can insult me for as long as you'd like. It isn't going to change your racist remark. Oh, and your response wasn't really helpful.

May 9, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Hmmm, even though this thread is about slavery; I wonder what this forums policy on racism is? :P

^ all I meant by this comment is that I didn't think racism was allowed here and that person that got banned posted some, sry for the confusion.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Hi everyone, if the last several posts seem strange, there was a very rasist and hatred post by a poster, he has been banned and the posts deleted,

If any of you last three want to edit your posts to make more sense, please do so,

General discussoions and ideas are always welcome, you can even want slavery, but pure rasist remarks are not allowed and will not be tolorated.

May 10, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly999
    Hmmm, even though this thread is about slavery; I wonder what this forums policy on racism is? :P

Added:
    ^ all I meant by this comment is that I didn't think racism was allowed here and that person that got banned posted some, sry for the confusion.
    No confusion, You found out what the site's policy is. Just a reminder, if you see ANY posts you feel violate the site's rules or common decency, please use the Report Inappropriate Post link and report it. Such things will be taken care of.

May 10, 2007, 07:02 AM
    Well, now that the problem is over it has made me remember something. Even though I said that no person can be a slave (read post #34), we labeled it that and people were in bondage working for a master; One reason that slavery is wrong is that it usually is based off prejudice and the master is racist against a certain people. Take African Americans for example, most Americans before the civil war were racist against them and took them as slaves; this though is not always the case but is only one of many reasons, if you believe there is slavery(I really do despite my earlier post, I guess I just label it a different name though :P), that it is wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is wrong with my dog? [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old female black lab. She is the most faithful eater I know but she has eaten since Tuesday... 6/21/05. All she wants to do is lay around and sleep. Granted it's been hot and I am sure the heat wears on her BUT she always eats. She TELLS me when it's breakfast and dinner time....

Is it wrong? [ 10 Answers ]

I was wondering everyone's feedback on the question is it wrong for man to feel less of himself if his girlfriend has slept with more guys then he has women?Is it wrong for him to want to go out and match her or destroy her total?I haven't been a man to want to conquer the universe until I met my...

What am I doing wrong? [ 8 Answers ]

:( I am a frustrated single mom with a 12 y/o boy. His father has always been there for us, even though we seperated when our child was four. I was fifteen when I had him and still have never married. His father recently is in the process of getting divorced from his wife and has moved to...

Is something wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 24 years old and 2 years ago I got pregnant when the condom broke and had an abortion because I was not ready at the time and the relationship was so new. I have not been using any contraceptives for the past 6 months because we are now ready to have a child, and now I am not getting pregnant....

What's Wrong With Me? [ 4 Answers ]

My life has been turned upside down. I met a wonderful man and the first 6 months were the most incredible I've ever experienced. I knew from the beginning he was bipolar but he never exhibited any signs or behavior that indicated it. Looking back, he was probably in a hypomanic state (he has...

View more questions Search