Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherice1977 Posts: 53, Reputation: -3

Mar 8, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Can someone tell me how I can get my son registered with Indian tribe?
    I need to know who can do this ?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 05:26 PM
    What makes you want him registered with an Indian tribe?
    What do you hope to gain by it?
    Is he part Indian?
    If so approx. what percent?
    What tribe?

Mar 8, 2008, 06:42 PM
    I hope to gain my son back .the state took custody of him and he's with my mom right now .I know his grand mother on his dad side is almost full cherokee and I have some on my side to.if I can get him registered they would have more control over him than the state would.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Do all of you live on the reservation, if not getting him registered ( while a great thing to do) would have little if any effect on any custody hearing.

The rules differ, I know when my last wife registered, she had to be 1/4 to register. So if her grandmother was FULL, not almost Full, then you may make that connection.

For reasons of ethnic education and background he needs to learn his family history

Mar 8, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Well he's almost 2 and no we do not live on a reservation and I need to know how I can prove how much indian he is
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 8, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Is his father and grandmother listed in the tribal records? If his father is listed in the trible council records than he can be listed under his father as a descendant with his father's trible. If not you may have a hard time.

Shirley
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 07:09 PM
    He would qualify then, but getting it proven and all may be another matter. I would think that you would have to be willing to actually have him reside @ a Cherokee reservation, otherwise it doesn't matter what heritage he has.
    What state do you live in?

Mar 8, 2008, 07:38 PM
    I live in Michigan

Mar 8, 2008, 07:41 PM
    I have no idea if she's registered my son's father is to stupid to ask questions
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 08:03 PM
    See if any of these help

Indian ancestory

Trace Your Indian Ancestry with DNA - DNA Indian Ancestry Project

This is the closest Cherokee's I could find to Michigan
    http://www.tallige.com/History.html

Mar 10, 2008, 07:59 AM
    You do not have to live on the reservation to be on the council rolls. My grandaughter is a registered member of the tribe and she does not live on the reservation. She is registered under her father although my daughter has been divorced ever since the grandaughter was a small baby and she is 9 now.

Every Indian family belongs to a specific tribe and must be registered under that tribe. You will need to find out which tribe your husband's family belongs to and whom in his family's history has been registered under that tribal community. Than you can register your child as a descendant of that tribe.

Shirley
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 08:22 AM
    I do not know your situation, but to me it seems that it would be much easier to work within the system that currently has your son, making yourself meet their requirements, rather than focusing your efforts on attempting a long term process of trying to switch to a different government and jurisdiction for which you know nothing about.

Mar 10, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Damn I didn't know the indian tribes where there own government

Mar 10, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Sherice,

The tribal council makes the decisions for the reservations. They have their own schools, their own policemen and the elders on the council pretty much run the communities for whichever tribe they sit on the council for.

The reservations are like small communities. The Indian schools teach for the most part both English and Native American languages. They speak English for the most part. They also teach culture and history. If you live on or close to a reservation you could probably arrange for your son to understudy with an elder on the Native American Culture. It would not be a bad idea for him to learn the ways of both worlds.

The Cherokee Nation has it's own website. If you go down toward the bottom of the website there is a button to click on that says Tribal Registration. It has a genealogy section there that may or may not be of help to you. The vast majority of the remaining Cherokee Heritage are in Oklahoma.

Here is the Cherokee Nation website.
    Cherokee Nation

There is a free Indian Genealogy site where you can look up Michigan or wherever your husband's family is from and find the tribal information at this site.

Indian Reservations 1908

Good Luck to you, I hope you find what you are looking for... and here is hoping your sone can find a part of his rich Native American Heritage and take pride in his great ancestry.

Shirley
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherice1977
    damn I didnt know the indian tribes where there own goverment

That is why I figured you wanted him registered
    And as wildsport said you do not have to live on the reservation
    But if you are trying to get your son back then that may be the best route
    Since they are their own government.

Check the links we give you for 800 numbers and call reservations and see what can be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance but not registered [ 4 Answers ]

I was in a car accident the other day and I was wondering if you could have insurance on a car that's not registered?

View more questions Search