Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    insert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 02:41 PM
    locating under sea bed buried pipe
    We must to survey an area 1 km x 300 m (bathy, scan side, sub bottom) water
    depth 50 m, vessel speed 1knot.
    It is possible that this small area to be intersected by an old buried
    metallic pipe 6 inch diameter (buried maximum 0.5-2 m in sand or mud).
    Scan side, sea bed classification and sub bottom can cheat us for such a
    small diameter of pipe.
    Survey is too small for large investments in magneto. If we can have a tool
    to indicate us where to insist with sub bottom profiling job is safer for us.
    Do you have suggestions for easy confirm/infirm existence of that kind of
    pipe?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Check into ground penetrating radar. Don't know if they are available to work underwater.
    Sitkadiver Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Apr 6, 2008, 08:49 PM
    50 meters is too deep for divers using a hand held metal detector to do a very good sweep. I think a towed magnetometer is the best thing for you. Not sure how much is too much of an investment for you, but you can always look into leasing or renting from a commercial dive operater.

If the bottom sediment is thick, there's a good chance a side scan won't see through it, and only show you the bottom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repairing 3" buried pipe [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to repair a 3" or 4" buried pipe? I am looking for the details of dealing with a break in the pipe, where the two ends are stationary. This should be the same as any underground tie-in. What is the best method? With new plumbing, you put glue or screw one piece onto the...

Locating buried pvc water lines [ 2 Answers ]

Any way to accurately locate the pvc water lines from a well to the house? The line is about 200 feet long.

How to tap into buried 4" CI waste pipe? [ 4 Answers ]

Here's the situation: There is a 3" cast iron main stack in the house (built in 1969, in MD, code is IPC) that empties into a 4" CI (with cleanout) pipe that exits through the cinder-block foundation. The pipe comes out of the foundation 14" below grade on the outside. I have uncovered it, and...

What type of pipe for buried water line? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I had a pipe break recently in the water line running to a workshop behind my house. The existing pipe is galvanized that was buried and eventually rusted through. I want to abandon the pipe completely and run a new line. I am on a budget so... What about the white plastic pipe? What...

View more questions Search