Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    182skylane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Gun Ownership
    I have an expunged felony for theft from 1990 and haven't been in any trouble since, will this cause me grief in purchasing a gun?

Thanks in advance
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 01:31 PM
    It is my understanding you will still have to go to court and get your rights to own a gun given back, merely explunging the record ( still shows up on the police NCIC just not public records)

Not 100 percent up on this but from my understanding this is how it workds.
    182skylane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I assume I will need an attorney for this... I maintain residence in Montana and Louisiana, I guess I'll need to do this in both states.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Yes, you will need an attorney for this. It will still show up on the NCIS background check and you will be formally denied. Now, what we do at our shop is... the purchaser gets denied and we give them a form to appeal the denial. 90% of the time the denial is overturned once the dig through the records and find that you had indeed been expunged.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 02:23 PM
    I think you merely have to do it in the state where the conviction happened. That is where your rights were lost. But again, you should have an attorney and they can tell you exactly what you need to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a tattoo gun [ 1 Answers ]

How do you use a tattoo gun?

Which gun [ 5 Answers ]

What gun would you suggest for a tourney player on a budget of around $500? I'm behind on the new markers since I couldn't play, do to injury. Anyway, I've of some and they are: E-PaintballOutlet RJR (Rat Jr.) Indian Creek Designs Bushmaster 2003 B2K Indian Creek Designs Bushmaster 2003 BKO...

My new paintball gun [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3000 psi tank and a new paintball gun that only can have 1000 psi's can I fill my tank up a third of the way and will my gun still work?

Gun problems [ 2 Answers ]

My wife loves playing paintball and so do I my question is my wife's gun has messed up the o-ring busted and I replaced it, but air still leaks out.I checked everything twice to see if their was anything else but I can't find anything.does anyone have any clue what's going on.

Summary court martial and gun ownership [ 13 Answers ]

I was court martialled is the marine coorps in 1997 as a summary court martial. On my record it shows larceny from auto and disorderly conduct. I have been denied the purchase of a firearm as a result. I was under the impression that a summary court martial was not a federal offense or a felony...

View more questions Search