Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thatonedude_01 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 04:06 AM
    How to make sure debt collector is the correct/current holder?
    I'm paying off old debt, what actions do I need to take to make sure that the collection agency I am paying is actually the current holder of the debt?

I don't what to find out 7 years from now when it's ready to fall off that the debt was sold prior to the acency collection I'm in contact with taking a payment or selling it after the fact. What actions can I do to make the collector submit the debt as paid to all credit reports and ends the debt?
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 9, 2008, 08:53 AM

It depends on what type of debt> If they have placed a lien against you or property, you will want a release of Sat of lien. If it is a non lien situation, request to have legal docs available when you pay the debt off. Most collection companies will not own the debt, but some will. They buy them from Credit Card companies for pennies on the dollar . Be safe demand to have docs in your hand when you pay it off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a debt collector take my car [ 6 Answers ]

So, I totally lost my case that worked so hard on. The lawyer won summary judgment. I did my opposition but of course the judge said it wasn't sufficient to offset the plaintiff's proofs. So now I have to pay (I guess I am OK with that) but these people (Pressler and Pressler). So I get a list of...

Can a debt collector collect on a debt charged off with a zero balance? [ 3 Answers ]

Since I have been served papers for lawsuit by Capital ONe. Someone from Elite Recovery services, Inc has sent a letter to my husband saying "advised this account has been identified by our legal Department as an account to be forwarded toan attorney." This was seen on my husbands credit report...

Old Debt New Collector [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of getting my first mortgage, After a long haul of building my credit, I have ran my credit often and knew that an old phone bill debt was due to come off my credit in 2006, Which it did. It had not appeared at all past three checks, I got a letter in the mail recently that...

Debt collector [ 13 Answers ]

What do you do about a debt collector who completely ignores the statute of limitations for NY? I keep on getting a call from "vital recovery services" trying to collect on a Discover card I had in college. I explain it was 8-9 years ago and way past the statute of limitations. They lie to me...

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

View more questions Search