Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Delow84 Posts: 309, Reputation: 45

Mar 7, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Member Artwork
    So I figured I'd start a new thread to post my other drawings, it could even be used as the new artist thread, or not if you guys want to start a different one.

This one is kind of old (about 3 years) and is of me and my ex :)

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the one I did in pen of my ex, :)

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is another one

I am not worried about copyright on these (the portraits are easy enough to prove are mine :P and the anime isn't a favorite character of mine) plus I don't have a program to add the watermarks (not even pain :( )

Mar 7, 2008, 09:37 PM
    And one I did that is Anime, it's not great but the only one I have on my computer atm

Figured I'd put this one in here as well just in case :)

nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 09:46 PM
    You are very talented! Good job! :)

Mar 7, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Thanks nautical! :)
    Here is a picture I did on scratchboard... looong time ago but I still like it :) (It was for school and for some reason I got a bad grade... maybe teacher was jealous? )

Oh and I'm sorry they are so big... don't know how to fix the sizes... my first was small and these are big. :P

I am on page 56 of the "the artist in you" I love so many of the works in there and I'm feeling definitely inspired to try some new stuff.

I esp loved the paintings you did on the maple leaves jrebel those were gorgeous.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 02:45 AM
    Hi, Delow84!

You really have done some awesome stuff with your drawing! Thanks for posting the images! You really are quite talented! I hope that you look to make a living at doing things with your art! Although, I do know how hard it is for anyone involved in the arts of any kind to make a living at it.

One of the beauties to "The Artist in you!" thread, was because it became all-inclusive to those involved in the arts of any kind. That would include the visual arts, performing arts and the written/language arts. In order to be polite and fair, I'm waiting to see what firmbeliever has in mind about starting a similar thread, if she wants to do that. But, it could be that there could be various threads on this site devoted to art of certain, specific kinds also.

This site is like an encyclopedia of knowledge and gets excellent results when people search for things on the Internet. As such, it would be good if sections, such as those in the arts, since they can be so broad, could be divided into various categories so that those seeking specific information about a particular type of art could easily find it.

It was so nice to see people of many backgrounds posting things about their art of various kinds even though they might come from totally different backgrounds and persuasions in other areas of their lives.

We were truly "one" there!

Please keep up your fine work that you are doing with your art!
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 02:56 AM
    You know, there was a person who participated on The Artist in you! Thread for awhile who used the same quote in her signature as you do. "If you can't love me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best." I think that is kind of cool! Like, artists think alike! :)

The name that she uses on this site is erlobenauer. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/members/erlobenauer.html And, I do wish that she would return! She has been missed!

I really had a lump in my throat in closing that thread! It was like I pulled the plug and all the life was gone! Some of us had become quite close on it. But, that's not really true that it would be gone. We just need to regroup in some way here.

What you have to share here, Delow84, is obviously very sensitive and creative! You will undoubtedly form some close friendships here too as you continue to post about your art.

WELCOME! It's nice to see some new blood in the Art topic area!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Delow84, you show such great expression in your work. I am so glad you posted more of your art. Are you in the process of strving to get your art out to the public at this time? I would be interested to know the dimensions on some of your work and how long each piece takes you to complete. Are they matted and framed at this time? Have you had them scanned and prints made of them? Full of questions, as always, I am. I really love your work.

Mar 9, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Delow84, you show such great expression in your work. I am so glad you posted more of your art. Are you in the process of strving to get your art out to the public at this time? I would be interested to know the dimensions on some of your work and how long each piece takes you to complete. Are they matted and framed at this time? Have you had them scanned and prints made of them? Full of questions, as always, I am. I really love your work.
    No I love the questions, I have a lot of people who admire my work but not many artists I can talk to about them you know?

All my drawings are done on basically the size of computer paper. Although I did make a much larger print of the one where she is laying asleep. Other then that I don't have any prints or copies out there, although I would love to do it.

And no none are framed yet, I still need go get me the fixative, then I will probably frame them all.

Where I am at I only know of hobby lobby as a place for art supplies etc, so I don't know where I could go to get my work out. Or where to go to get some scans/prints done.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Delow84
    No I love the questions, I have alot of people who admire my work but not many artists I can talk to about them ya know?

All my drawings are done on basicly the size of computer paper. Although I did make a much larger print of the one where she is laying asleep. Other then that I don't have any prints or copies out there, although I would love to do it.

And no none are framed yet, I still need go get me the fixative, then I will probably frame them all.

Where I am at I only know of hobby lobby as a place for art supplies etc, so I dunno where I could go to get my work out. Or where to go to get some scans/prints done.
    Just a suggestion but you might Google "Giclee Prints (and then the name of your town and state). If there is a printer that does the Giclee, they would probably come up with a link and a phone number. My printer does cold press on mine but because of your style, they might choose hot press. If you have looked at any of my pencil drawings, you will see tha tI get very texturie. The hot press would change the look a little too much, at least that is what the guy that does my print shared with me. Try the next largest city if you don't find any in your town. It is well worth it. I tried other printers and the Giclee is far superior. It gets a little pricey since you have your work scanned (but with yours not being large, as long you scan them at home and have at least 300 dpi and have it set for greyscale, you could burn your own CD of your work, then take it and just order prints or cards or book marks, etc. The gal reclining would make a great bookmark. The printer does my book marks elongated for a more artsy look.

I totally understand when you said, "I have alot of people who admire my work but not many artists I can talk to about them ya know?"

I am the same way. That is why "The Artist In You" thread and this thread and the whole forum has been such a blessing to me. Even though it is just basically "virtual" I have formed several close friendships here. I know you will also and probably already have.

I would love for you to try the Brsitol Smooth paper which is available at Hobby Lobby for your drawings. You have more talent than I ever will in your ability to project the mood of the piece so clearly.

Keep posting, sharing and caring! Blessings to you! :p

Mar 9, 2008, 11:20 PM
    Yay, yet another reason this site is such a blessing. :) I will definitely look for the giclee printers, and try that. Man lol I can't imagine my work on stuff. I am going to keep taking pictures or even looking through old ones to try and find more to draw.

The one pic of her laying down was done in real time, no pic or anything. And she didn't like to lay still when sleeping >.<. Lol

I will definitely put together my own cd, I'm more or less certain I can get it at least 300 dpi and greyscale. I don't know about the cold and hot presses but I will research it all. (when I do stuff I tend to read all the literature I can on the subject lol) and Ill be out tomorrow ima stop by Hobby lobby and grab the fixture stuff, and the bristol smooth paper. (I think that's the type comic book artists prefer?) Ill post more pics when I go through them, or do more.

-edit- Ok found me a place that does them, prices are decent so I just got to touch up my drawings, scan and burn them to CD. I like the idea of putting them on a canvas and framing it. (needed something to decorate my walls with lol) Tuesday I will probably go. Who knew pictures of my ex would turn out being something worth keeping around :)

I actually feel inspired now to draw more, thanks to everyone's great feedback, and advice on what to do :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 11:45 PM
    yay, yet another reason this site is such a blessing. :) I will definitely look for the giclee printers, and try that. Man lol I can't imagine my work on stuff. I am gonna keep taking pictures or even looking through old ones to try and find more to draw.

The one pic of her laying down was done in real time, no pic or anything. And she didnt like to lay still when sleeping >.<. lol

I will definitely put together my own cd, im more or less certain I can get it at least 300 dpi and greyscale. I dunno about the cold and hot presses but I will research it all. (when i do stuff I tend to read all the literature I can on the subject lol) and Ill be out tomorrow ima stop by Hobby lobby and grab the fixture stuff, and the bristol smooth paper. (I think thats the type comic book artists prefer?) Ill post more pics when I go through em, or do more.
    That's great! I am excited for you. You sound excited in your post about really get into some art work soon. With the talent you possess, you just must. :p Much passion in your work.

I have worked with live models before. I know what you mean about them not being still. It is a challenge but great fun. I find that I have to work so much faster with live models so generally work from photographs. A lot of the work I do is commission pieces where the person provides the photos, tells me changes they might want, things added or left out. I just did one a bit ago where I was given a photo of an existing house but was told what to leave out, add to, etc. so it would be like the house was in 1950. That was a challenge since I had few photos of the house during that time. I had a photo of part of a banister from then, part of the front, had to leave out all other existing structures surrounding it now, take out plants and replace with only sand and sea shells but the customer was a happy camper so I am also. LOL

Commission work provides more income but is not where my passion lies. I use to feel I was 'selling out' so to speak to do commission pieces rather than pieces I have real passion for but have found a new passion in that I take a lot of joy from doing the piece and knowing how pleased the customer is with it.

I will checking the site often. Later then! Best to you!

Mar 9, 2008, 11:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    That's great! I am excited for you. You sound excited in your post about really get into some art work soon. With the talent you possess, you just must. :p Much passion in your work.

I have worked with live models before. I know what you mean about them not being still. It is a challenge but great fun. I find that I have to work so much faster with live models so generally work from photographs. A lot of the work I do is commission pieces where the person provides the photos, tells me changes they might want, things added or left out. I just did one a bit ago where I was given a photo of an existing house but was told what to leave out, add to, etc. so it would be like the house was in 1950. That was a challenge since I had few photos of the house during that time. I had a photo of part of a banister from then, part of the front, had to leave out all other existing structures surrounding it now, take out plants and replace with only sand and sea shells but the customer was a happy camper so I am also. LOL

I will checking the site often. Later then! Best to you!
    I would love to have the chance to work with live models, and you got to work A lot faster, and improvise. Like if you finished half the face one way, with the shadows etc and they turn their head down just enough to make it different. You got to go from memory. But way fun and worth it in the end.

I will offer at work that Ill do work for them. Even for free because its more stuff I can add to a portfolio (and they are mostly friends lol)

I would love to see some more of your work jrebel, esp pencil or ink. I love seeing other work. I am still trying to read all the pages of the last thread lol. Lot of great work there, sometimes when I see other work it intimidates me lol. But gives me that urge to try harder or not give up. Fun fun. :)

Anyway I am excited!
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 02:40 AM
    I would love to see some more of your work jrebel, esp pencil or ink. I love seeing other work. I am still tryin to read all the pages of the last thread lol. Lot of great work there, sometimes when I see other work it intimidates me lol. But gives me that urge to try harder or not give up. Fun fun. :)

anyways I am excited!
    Yeah, The Artist in you! thread is an incredible thread! I am sure that you will see more of jrebel7's work. And, I can guarantee you that sometime soon, it will be easier to find things on the Art topic area of this site. Just need to get my "rear in gear" so to speak! Are you into music, Delow84? To be specific, do you play an instrument or sing? Just curious...

When I was much younger, I used to be intimidated by others that played the piano on the same level that I did. I do know where you are coming from there concerning your art...
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 06:57 AM
    I would love to have the chance to work with live models, and ya gotta work ALOT faster, and improvise. Like if you finished half the face one way, with the shadows etc and they turn thier head down just enough to make it different. You gotta go from memory. But way fun and worth it in the end.

I will offer at work that Ill do work for them. Even for free because its more stuff I can add to a portfolio (and they are mostly friends lol)

I would love to see some more of your work jrebel, esp pencil or ink. I love seeing other work. I am still tryin to read all the pages of the last thread lol. Lot of great work there, sometimes when I see other work it intimidates me lol. But gives me that urge to try harder or not give up. Fun fun. :)

anyways I am excited!
    Hey there! Since you mentioned portfolio, that is another reason for doing the Giclee prints and having work scanned. The guy who does my prints made a portfolio of all my work. It has prints of each piece, one sheet has color work, the other has black and white, thumbnails of each piece about two inches in size. There was an art show coming up and you had to show your work for it to be judged as to whether you would be allowed to show your work in that show. I was busy and could not get away to do so. The show was in another town other than where I live. My daughter came and got my two portfolio sheets and presented those rather than having to take my work, prints, or notebook with photos of my work. Just a thought as you get more pieces done. A lot of my original work is privately owned before I began having the pieces scanned but I do have photos of most of it. The scans are so much better to have. Just want to encourage you to always at least photograph your work, since you mention you give it to friends at work. That is a great way to get your name out there though.

I totally know what you mean by feeling a bit intimidated when viewing the "Artist Thread". I admire so much, other artists style, that I tend to think because mine is not like theirs that my work is not as good. As artists, we are generally a little too sensitive to everything in life but that makes for a good artist I think. The emotion I feel when I view your work makes me know that this is true of you as well.

I am also encouraged by seeing great art, hoping to become the artist I feel I am intended to be. I tell people when they tell me, "You should paint what sells in your area!", that I paint or draw what is in my heart to paint or draw, if I sell a piece, it is just the icing on the cake. The real joy comes from having completed a piece I feel good about. Don't get me wrong. I don't turn down offers to purchase my work! LOL :p (I do understand why many of the old Masters died in poverty though. Ha. Hard to get established!! If they could see now what their work has come to mean to the world, they would be so proud of their accomplishments.)

I have done a lot of work for churches, friends, work projects, with no pay but I think God gives us talents not just to make money but to bless others. By sharing your work, you certainly have blessed the viewers here on this thread. As an artist, you may feel you put a piece of your soul into each piece. I do. Sometimes, I am so wrapped up in a piece that once it is finished, I am so lonesome to work on it. Bear in mind that some of the pieces I do, because of the style that I do and probably because I am slow (LOL), take any where from 9 to 52 hours.

I haven't posted work on this thread because I know you are viewing "The Artist In You" thread so you will see a lot of my work on there.

With the talent you have, Don't EVER GIVE UP! Enjoy the journey! Best to you! :)
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Beautiful portraits, Delow! You definitely have a gift.

I constantly wish I could draw... I can take pictures but to be able to sit down and make my own... wow... you have my respect!

Mar 10, 2008, 09:15 AM
    [QUOTE=jrebel7]The real joy comes from having completed a piece I feel good about. Don't get me wrong. I don't turn down offers to purchase my work! LOL :p (I do understand why many of the old Masters died in poverty though. Ha. Hard to get established!! If they could see now what their work has come to mean to the world, they would be so proud of their accomplishments.)
    QUOTE]

I know how you feel lol, I love drawing not for the prospect of getting paid, but the joy I feel when I finished something I think is good , that captured whatI saw in my mind. And that other people enjoy my work also. Getting paid is just the icing on the cake like you said.

HC you take beautiful pictures that is an art unto itself, anyone can take a picture, it takes an artist to take a picture that makes the viewer feeeeel something. And your pictures all do that when I look at them.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Delow... WOW.
    I just stumbled across here taking a look around and find out you are an artist. Really good stuff mate , I'm impressed ( I have trouble drawing a stick man lol). Keep up the good work , I look forward to seeing some more of your drawings.

Ok I better stumble across and have a look at the "The artist in you" thread , sounds like it could take a while to get through :-)

Mar 11, 2008, 02:07 AM
    Thanks friend4u! I appreciate that. I never really started drawing till I rolled my ankle skateboarding freshman year, and had to stay home in a cast for a few days. Looked up dragon ball z and drew a picture of Vegeta. Man I showed my brother and he was like "you didnt draw that, where did ya get it?" so from there I kept drawing DBZ until my ex sis in law bought me my first art book to draw in. I wanted to make sure to draw something good in it, so I drew portraits of my older brother, my niece, nephew and sis in law. :) 9 years ago... whoa.

I need come up with names for them lol, but I got much better at the shading I think over the years. (except for the laying down pic) I just finished touching that one up ill name it "sleeping beauty" cough... cough.
    It will be the first one I do the Giclee print of.

The pen one is one of my fav portraits, and the one with me and ex, I drew myself REALLY good lol. And then my newest one just blows them all away except for sleepng beauty. I am looking for a good pic of me and my two brothers, or my parents to work on next.

Ill post the VERY first portraits I did tomorrow, got to scan them and clean them up. Unfortunately I never knew about fixture stuff so my drawings didn't fare well since 99'
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Mar 12, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Delow, you art is amazing! You are such a talented drawer :)
    And that scratch board thing looks interesting, never heard of that medium before, how does it work?
    Can't wait to see more of you art :)
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2008, 06:37 PM
    AHA Delow

I knew there was something your drawings reminded me of , came to me last night out of the blue , see the link below

YouTube - aha - take on me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Value of artwork? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an etching from the Paris Etching Society. It is a stream with an old mill or waterwheel. It is signed Pierre and the Title is hard to read. It is either Mortin or Moutin. It is numbered 203. Can you also tell me anything about this? Thanks.

Artwork authenticity [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchased a piece of artwork by Picasso. How can I authenicate it? :confused: There is no signature, no number... only a date. I have found the same piece on the web as a print, but this is not a print... it is done on something that looks like pressboard. The pastels are totally intact,...

Depreciating artwork [ 6 Answers ]

What makes artwork a non-depreciable asset? Is there some threshold value that the IRS recognizes? Isn't most "art" hanging in most businesses more a depreciable item of décor as opposed to a true investment that will hold its value or appreciated in value? If this is the case and we don't...

Artwork Donation [ 2 Answers ]

As Member in a 501 (C) (7) organization --can I donate artwork valued at @$5,000 and use it as a tax deduction.

Some of my artwork [ 35 Answers ]

Hope this works?? Here is some of my artwork. The Man standing beside horse and cart was done in acrylics The Desert Girl (girl from Nat'l geographic cover) done is oils The mother and baby is my daughter-in-law and my grandson -- painting in oils The Cannon I built about 12 years ago -...

View more questions Search