Ask
    ice747 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Laptop to desktop
    How do I transfer information from my laptop to the desktop. Thank you
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 04:24 PM
    The easiest way would be with a thumb drive, or external hard drive.

These hold much more information than a CD or DVD will.

If you mean connecting one to the other, I have no clue how that works?

You can find a 2 Gig thumb drive that just plugs into a usb port for around $20-40.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 04:24 PM
    If it's text data you may be able to send it through email, but I would suggest getting an external hard drive to transfer all the files to, and then transfer them from there to the desktop computer. If it's small files, use a flash drive, but if it's music, pictures, etc. get another hard drive.
    squinter Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Mar 8, 2008, 06:02 AM
    You might even think about a home network , your lappy more than likely has a wireless connection which should connect to your router ( providing you have a router ) , if not you can connect both via a CAT5 cable then share any files you like.
    Will00 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Mar 9, 2008, 06:48 PM
    I would recommend using FolderShare if they are both Windows XP.
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Mar 10, 2008, 10:00 AM
    You should use an external hard drive as the other guys said. But I've also saw something, I have never used it but it allows youto connect 2 computers and allow file sharing. It's a wire and both computers have to be on.
    squinter Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bigchamp
    You should use an external hard drive as the other guys said. But I've also saw something, I have never used it but it allows youto connect 2 computers and allow file sharing. It's a wire and both computers have to be on.
    The "wire" your talking about is probably a Cat5 cable which only costs about £5.00 :)
    riversiderebel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Allright so its possible I figured out a way of doing this and I find it pretty cool , you should try downloading the GMAIL drive, it helps for saving everything I like it a lot:) :) the main thing about this is that you can access this from any place in the world, any computer...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop or Desktop? [ 5 Answers ]

Which is better for a college atmosphere? Top of the line system. In my personal case I plan on being a graphic designer, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Desktop - Laptop - share Norton? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a desktop with a wireless router not currently being used. I wish to buy a laptop, use the wireless router and be able to have internet on the laptop. I am concerned about security, on my desktop I have Norton installed, if I set up the laptop as a network with my desktop, do I need...

Connect laptop but not desktop [ 4 Answers ]

Hi hope you can help, I have recently got a new internet connection and can connect using ethernet to my laptop but not to my desktop. The wireless connection will not work at all. I use Xp pro on the desktop and xp home on the laptop. My network connections box says the connection is running but...

Laptop or Desktop? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, been wanting a computer for some time now. Finally have the money. Which is right for me?? Just want something I can write my college papers on, internet and downloading music. Pretty much it. I'd prefer anything but macs. Any suggestions? Or good sales going on? Don't want to spend too much,...

View more questions Search