Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SilviaC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Work in NJ/Mailing address in Georgia
    For a few years I worked out of NJ in a 100% travel job. I rented an apartment in Atlanta to keep my things, but didn't work in Georgia. My employer deducted payroll taxes for NJ and said I didn't need to pay taxes in Georgia since I didn't work there and was there only some weekends throughout the year.

Now Georgia says I need to pay taxes there in addition to those I paid in NJ and is threatening legal action. Can they tax me on all my income if I never worked there and spent maybe 10% of each year in the state? When my NJ license came up for renewal I did have to get a GA license. Does that make me a resident?

:confused:
    Lon Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Mar 11, 2008, 08:13 PM
    You need to file a GA return. You will get a credit for the taxes paid to NJ, resulting in littleor no balance due.

Lon
    SilviaC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon
    you need to file a GA return. You will get a credit for the taxes paid to NJ, resulting in littleor no balance due.

Lon
    HELP! I calculated the amount of tax for 1996-1998 as about $2200 (based on 2003 tax tables). The state of Georgia says they are going to take me to court for $16000 because of interest, penalties, and collection fees! Can you recommend a good tax attorney in Georgia?

Also, do you know where I could find tax forms for those three years so I can fill out the forms and send them to them? They calculated my tax liability as $8500 for those 2.25 years. That's obviously wrong.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 07:02 AM
    I'm surethat AtlantaTaxExpert can help you find somebody. You may want to send him a PM.

For the period when you lived in NJ you do not owe income taxes in GA, even though you kept an apartment there - assuming that you lived in NJ for at least 184 days for each of the years in question. That's the threshold that makes you an NJ resident. Your GA apartment is then a second home, not your primary residence. I suggest that in your correspondence with GA you provide documentation that you were not a GA resident - copies of your NJ lease agreements, your NJ tax returns, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ITIN, Federal and State - Mailing Address [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I Am On H1b Visa And Have Filed My Taxes For The 1st Time In Hrblock For The 1st Time In Usa. I Got Married And Filed Itin For My Wife Along With My Returns. Hrblock Has Done The Taxes Given Me Two Envelopes To Mail My federal And Itin (W-7) To Internal Revenue Service Center Po...

Live in Florida, work in Georgia. [ 4 Answers ]

If I am living in Florida, and work in Georgia, and Georgia takes out state taxes what do I do about filing in Florida which does not have state income taxes.:confused:

Mailing address on W2, W7 and 1040 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have following questions: 1) Is it necessary for me to put the same mailing address that I have on my W2 on the W7 form "applicants mailing address" section (W7 is for my spouse who does not have an SSN) as well as form 1040 "Home address" section? Or I can give a different address? The...

I can ping an address, but browser doesn't work [ 4 Answers ]

I can ping www.yahoo.com, but when I put the address in my browser, I get page not found, the same error on both my browsers - IE and netscape, I uninstalled my virus software, and still same error. My other computer works fine going through the same router and modem. Can I reset my socks...

Yahoo Address Bar Doesn't work [ 2 Answers ]

When I try to use Yahoo address bar is says: We did not find results for "q1=AACAAAAAAAAAA--&q2=Q2JEmg--"

View more questions Search