Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Yes, violent insurrection is morally superior to nonviolent civil disobedience. Civil disobedience is carried out with-in the frame-work of a legal authority; that is, the legal authority granted by the people is not challenged but the ethic of following law is broken…a law is violated.

Where-as with revolution the right of the legal authority is challenged, as for instance in America it was the declaration of independence which declared that the Thirteen Colonies in North America were "Free and Independent States" and that "all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved."
    Are you saying this with a straight face? Can you really believe that civil disobedience doesn't challenge "the legal authority granted by the people"? And that armed insurrection is "morally superior" because "the right of the legal authority is challenged"? Both approaches challenge "the right of the legal authority", but one does it by force and violence, the other does it nonviolently. Your argument is logically preposterous and morally nonsensical.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    Are you saying this with a straight face? Can you really believe that civil disobedience doesn't challenge "the legal authority granted by the people"? And that armed insurrection is "morally superior" because "the right of the legal authority is challenged"? Both approaches challenge "the right of the legal authority", but one does it by force and violence, the other does it nonviolently. Your argument is logically preposterous and morally nonsensical.
    Like I pointed out earlier, by that definition everyone who breaks a law is committing an act of civil disobedience; when in fact they are simply criminals. To act criminally is to act ethically immoral. There is a legal and moral path that can lead to a law being changed.

It is a pity you can’t seem to make a distinction between a government (a legal authority) and a law that is passed.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 10:10 AM
    To act criminally is to act ethically immoral.
    Interesting concept. :rolleyes:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 10:22 AM
    To act criminally is to act ethically immoral. There is a legal and moral path that can lead to a law being changed.

It is a pity you can’t seem to make a distinction between a government (a legal authority) and a law that is passed.
    Hello again, DC:

Frankly, the pity is that you can't distinguish between a moral law and an immoral one. To you, there's no difference.

To ME, however, it isn't immoral to defy an immoral law. Indeed, the immorality would be going along... What gives me the right to decide? I'm a sovereign.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, DC:

Frankly, the pity is that you can't distinguish between a moral law and an immoral one. To you, there's no difference.

To ME, however, it isn't immoral to defy an immoral law. Indeed, the immorality would be going along.... What gives me the right to decide? I'm a sovereign.

excon
    Morality is a human (or sentient) invention. Once an individual or community has accepted a general set of basic moral premises (e.g. committing a crime is wrong), moral disputes can arise when applying those premises in real-life cases--such as when one has to choose between breaking the law and going-about changing it legally.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Morality is a human (or sentient) invention. Once an individual or community has accepted a general set of basic moral premises (e.g. committing a crime is wrong), moral disputes can arise when applying those premises in real-life cases--such as when one has to choose between breaking the law and going-about changing it legally.
    Hello again, DC:

Yes, we do that too. We get together and decide that doing such and such is a crime, and it's wrong to do that. Then we write it down and call it law.

But what if the law is immoral? I suspect, although you won't admit it, that you think, simply by virtue of it BEING a law, makes it moral. I don't subscribe that stuff.

So, if one attempts to change it legally and it doesn't work, how long do you wait? 10 years? 100 years? Or do you just go along forever? Given that you don't subscribe to my definition of an immoral law, you wouldn't even try to change one, so how could you answer? You'd just go along.

Nope, there's no question in my mind. The immoral thing to do, would be to go along with an immoral law.

excon
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 11:30 AM
    I can distinguish between a government and a law perfectly well. I'm just boggled that you could claim with a straight face that overthrowing a government by violent means is morally superior to nonviolently disobeying an unjust law.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Hello again, DC:

Yes, we do that too. We get together and decide that doing such and such is a crime, and it's wrong to do that. Then we write it down and call it law.

But what if the law is immoral? I suspect, although you won't admit it, that you think, simply by virtue of it BEING a law, makes it moral. I don't subscribe that stuff.

So, if one attempts to change it legally and it doesn't work, how long do you wait? 10 years? 100 years? Or do you just go along forever? Given that you don't subscribe to my definition of an immoral law, you wouldn't even try to change one, so how could you answer? You'd just go along.

Nope, there's no question in my mind. The immoral thing to do, would be to go along with an immoral law.

excon
    You just don’t get it do you…Laws are not immoral or moral in and of themselves; morality means a code of conduct held to be authoritative in matters of right and wrong.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Laws are not immoral or moral in and of themselves;
    Hello again, DC:

Yeah, they are.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 12:11 PM
    excon

And you got that from which God?:eek:
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Hello again, DC:

You need God to tell you what's right and what's wrong. I don't. I'm smart enough to figure it out for myself.

I'm sure you're on some plane different than the rest of us, but just as an example of how smart I am, I can tell that a law that allows one human being to be owned by another is immoral. You, on the other hand, can't.

I know, I know, I should be ashamed of myself for making such a Godlike proclamation.

You're still out there, DC. Waaaaay out there.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    I can distinguish between a government and a law perfectly well. I'm just boggled that you could claim with a straight face that overthrowing a government by violent means is morally superior to nonviolently disobeying an unjust law.
    Violent insurrection is your words and I just used them in the “context of revolution”. My original words were: I did not say I was against revolution as a means to an end. Which you interpreted as “violent insurrection.” That’s when I complained about you “twisting words.” Then Excon picked-up on your lead and said, “violent revolution.” Then you came back with, “armed revolution.”

During revolution (Which was my premise) there is no legal authority (there is no consent of the governed) all political connection is dissolved between two parties. There is no immorality in that act alone.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Hello again, DC:

You need God to tell you what's right and what's wrong. I don't. I'm smart enough to figure it out for myself.

I'm sure you're on some plane different than the rest of us, but just as an example of how smart I am, I can tell that a law that allows one human being to be owned by another is immoral. You, on the other hand, can't.

I know, I know, I should be ashamed of myself for making such a Godlike proclamation.

You're still out there, DC. Waaaaay out there.

excon
    You're the one who claimed Laws are immoral or moral in and of themselves, in other words moral laws are not man-made… how did they come about if not by some other source.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 01:16 PM
    You really do need to pay more attention.
    Ex, I've been paying attention and I've been wondering what happened to free speech on college campuses.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    ex, I've been paying attention and I've been wondering what happened to free speech on college campuses.
    Please avoid derailing the discussion; you can start your own thread. Thank you.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 01:40 PM
    You're the one who claimed Laws are immoral or moral in and of themselves, in other words moral laws are not man-made… how did they come about if not by some other source.
    Hello again, DC:

I have no idea what you just said. But, I got it. You think God made the laws and man is just enforcing 'em. Or, some other gobbeldegook like that.

I understand Christians. In your church, you are told not to question God. Just go along.

In my church, we're told to question EVERYTHING - ESPECIALLY GOD!

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Hello again, DC:

I have no idea what you just said. But, I got it. You think God made the laws and man is just enforcing 'em. Or, some other gobbeldegook like that.

I understand Christians. In your church, you are told not to question God. Just go along.

In my church, we're told to question EVERYTHING - ESPECIALLY GOD!

excon
    I’ve noticed that, with you, it always comes to this…you elevating yourself and putting other people down.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 02:10 PM
    I’ve noticed that, with you, it always comes to this…you elevating yourself and putting other people down.
    Hello again, DC:

I can't help it if God made me better.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Please avoid derailing the discussion; you can start your own thread. Thank you.
    NK, you have a lot of chutzpah. The issue of peaceable assembly and petitioning the government was raised and my post is entirely relevant to that discussion.

The issue was raised here, here, here, here, here, here and here.

College campuses all over this nation have prohibited assembly to exercise one's rights unless they are in declared speech zones, harassed and punished those who have exercised their rights, prohibited assembly of certain groups, censored students and otherwise trampled on constitutional rights.

Brandeis University: Professor Found Guilty of Harassment for Protected Speech

California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly): Use of Disruption Claim to Suppress Free Speech

Central Michigan University: Abridgement of Freedom to Display Patriotic Symbols

College of William and Mary: Suppression of Affirmative Action Bake Sale

Colorado State University: Students Fight for Rights to Free Speech and Assembly

DePaul University: Censorship of Student Group Protesting Ward Churchill

Rhode Island College: Violation of Student’s Freedom of Conscience

New York University: Suppression of Discussion of Mohammed Cartoons

Saint Cloud State University: Thought Reform and Suppression of Free Speech

University of Alabama: Attempt to Limit Freedom of Speech and Right to Petition

If that isn't relevant I don't know what is, and if these incidents don't stop you just might see me engage in some civil disobedience of my own.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Hah, made you work. :)

Anyway it's funny how you are incensed by actions on a campus by not by the same actions done by your own government.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil summons [ 1 Answers ]

What is a cival summons from a Credito

Concerning a Civil Summons. [ 1 Answers ]

Monday, September 24, I received a civil summons concerning a credit card debt. I received three papers, two being the same copy of a summons, the other stating how much I owe the company (Capital one). The date on the summons says May 21, 2007. Is it too late to do anything about it? Also, I...

Civil judgement [ 1 Answers ]

How long do I have to appeal a civil judgement

Civil claim [ 2 Answers ]

I have put in several applications for loans but I have two repos my one repo had a cosigner if my application was denied because of the repo debt not being satisfied will the cosigner get information in the mail as well?:)

Civil law [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to fire your landlord?:o

View more questions Search