Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Senior citizens tax rebate
    I think I have the necessary information. Seniors on only social security income and make over $3,000 must file a tax form to get their $300.00 rebate.

The sample tax form 1040a. Besides the label part and signing the form.
    You just need to fill in line 14E and send a copy of your 1099 and write across
    The form"stimulus Payment" and that's it.

This is the way, it was explained to me. Am I correct?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 8, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Senior's on Social Security do not need to file for the rebate they will get it through the Social Security office.

Shirley
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 07:39 PM
    All of the info I find says you have to file a tax return to receive the check

IRS Details On the 2008 Tax Rebate Checks
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2008, 03:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneill474
    I think I have the necessary information. seniors on only social security income and make over $3,000 must file a tax form to get their $300.00 rebate.

The sample tax form 1040a. besides the label part and signing the form.
    you just need to fill in line 14E and send a copy of your 1099 and write accross
    the form"stimulus Payment" and that's it.

This is the way, it was explained to me. Am I correct?
    Sample:
    Basic Eligibility

The IRS will use the 2007 tax return to determine eligibility and calculate the basic amount of the payment. In most cases, the payment will equal the amount of tax liability on the return with a maximum amount of $600 for individuals ($1,200 for taxpayers who file a joint return) and a minimum of $300 for individuals ($600 for taxpayers who file a joint return).

Even those who have little or no tax liability may qualify for a minimum payment of $300 ($600 if filing a joint return) if their tax return reflects $3,000 or more in qualifying income. For the purpose of the stimulus payments, qualifying income consists of earned income such as wages and net self-employment income as well as Social Security or certain Railroad Retirement benefits and veterans’ disability compensation, pension or survivors’ benefits received from the Department of Veterans Affairs in 2007. However, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) does not count as qualifying income for the stimulus payment.

I wonder if they change the regulation?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 9, 2008, 08:38 AM
    There is a form you need to fill out, I just found out that the Social Security Department and the IRS are not exactly in touch with each other on this package. We are getting different messages.

Just to be sure I would call the Social Security Office and make sure. It would not hurt to just file the short form for 2007 taxes in order to get the rebate. I believe if you do there is a special place you need to put the amount on the form.

Again your Social Security Office is your best bet on this one.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankrupsy and senior citizens [ 4 Answers ]

My question to you is I have a personal friend ,who is a senior citizen and co signed on a car note. The car was repossessed after a short time,now the are taking her to court to pay 14,000 her only source of income is social security,she has no car no home,no assets She wants to file...

Health insurance for Senior Citizens [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for a Health Insurance policy in INDIA to cover my Family of 3 and my Senior Citizen Parents. Can any Insurance company in INDIA, cover my parents as well who are above 60 yrs of age, and proved a cover to the entire family.

Health insurance for Senior Citizens [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for a Health Insurance policy to cover my Family of 3 and my Senior Citizen Parents. Can any Insurance company cover my parents as well who are above 60 yrs of age, and proved a cover to the entire family.

Name of a 1970's Movie about Senior Citizens [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to find out the name of a movie I saw on HBO in the mid 70's. It was about a bunch of old people living in an apartment building, they were getting evicted so they started killing the men that were trying to evict them. They actually buried one of there victims in cement. Can...

Health Insurance for Senior Citizens [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know the income breakup of the senior citizens in India and how many of them have got health insurance? How many companies cater to the health insurance needs for the senior citizens? Is it possible to provide the information for the current and past 5 years so that I can analyse...

View more questions Search