Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eaglesclaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 12:40 PM
    Stall Shower Leak
    I live in a 3 level townhome built in the 70s. It seems that my 2nd floor shower is leaking water into the ceiling of the kitchen directly below it. The shower drain appears to be plastic (black) with a rubber ring around it. To date I've used 100% silicone around the ring in an attempt to seal the leak but it doesn't work. If there is anymore info that you need to help me with this problem, please let me and I'll get back with you ASAP ! Thanks in advance for your response.

Rob
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 30, 2006, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesclaw
    If there is anymore info that you need to help me with this problem, please let me and I'll get back with you ASAP
    Do you have an all-plastic shower stall, plastic shower base with tiled walls, or tiled walls and base?

Are you absolutely sure the leak is coming from where you think it is? Consider this: there are three general areas where the leak may be coming from:
    The shower base: cracks or holes in the base (plastic) or problematic tiles/grout (tile).
    The drain: the transition between the shower base and the drain may be problematic.
    The P-trap and drain pipe: unfortunately, drain pipes can crack or (in the case of cast iron) corrode.

Having said all that, let's try to narrow it down:

To eliminate #3, plug up the drain using a balloon, drain stopper, or whatever. Fill the shower pan with a couple of inches of water, and let it sit for a while. If there is no leak, we have determined that the pipes are the problem - since water is not going in the pipes now and it is not leaking, and when water goes in the pipes there is a leak, that theoretically means the p-trap/pipe is the problem.

(continued next post... )
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 30, 2006, 01:09 PM
    (... continued)

If the leaking continues, try #1 next: If the base is plastic, check the entire shower base for "spider cracks", holes, or anything else that looks suspicious. If the base is tiled, check the tiles carfully for cracks, and make sure the grout/caulking is in decent condition. (Actually, you could really try this before the previous experiment, since it's a heck of a lot simpler, and doesn't require much more than a functioning pair of eyeballs. ;))

Post back with any discoveries you make, and we'll take it from there.
    Moishe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower stall leak [ 9 Answers ]

I'm going crazy, I can't find the leak in my shower. I've run water from a hose flowing over the base and through the drain for 30-40 minutes, no leak. I've capped the shower head turned the water on, still no leak. I've plugged the drain filled the base up with 2 inches of water and let sit for...

Shower stall leak, pan? Drain? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been noticing some wetness aroundthe outside of my stall shower. It is a Tile shower in a ranch type house on a slab. I looked carefully at all the grout on the floor and resealed the corners but that did not help. I thought it might be the drain but can only get the top off. The other has...

Shower stall leak [ 13 Answers ]

I am in the process of fixing a second floor shower leak. I have removed the first floor ceiling under the shower. I've removed the gasket between the shower base and the drain pipe. I've replaced the rubber gasket (and cardboard gasket) And I have removed the drain cap inside the shower. I am very...

Shower stall drain leak [ 8 Answers ]

I have a second floor acrylic shower stall that apparently has a drain leak, based on a wet spot in the ceiling almost directly below the shower drain that has gotten progressively bigger over a few weeks. I've taken the strainer plate off, but am at a loss for what to do next. I'm presuming...

Shower stall leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have leaking shower stall built on a concrete slab, home built in 1959. The tile on the walls and ceiling of the stall is Pepto Bismal pink and gray attached via mortar and metal screen and has some small cracks (shoulder height). The tile on the floor looks like a glass mosaic with the grout...

View more questions Search