Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Jan 30, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Is this guy nuts? What should I do.
    Hey everyone I hope someone can give me advic on how to handle this situation.
    I have been going to this gym for about three years and haven't had a problem with anyone up until this point in time.
    There is a guy that has been a member there for about as long as I have. In the past he hasn't really ever bothered anyone, kept to himself. The only thing that I really ever noticed about him was that he walked around the gym staring down the woman, but he never works out, literally. I always thought that it was odd but never gave it much thought.
    This is when the trouble started.
    Im very good friends with one of the female ppersonal trainers, one day as we were leaving the gym, she started to cry saying she thought she was going to loose her job. It turns out that this particular guy went to her boss and said that she was harassing him and that kept asking himut and wouldn't leave himlone. Now mind you this guy is in his late sixties and while there are some dashing older men, this guy is far from it. Her boss half heartedly told my friend to just stay away from him. But she didn't loose her job because this guy didn't have any proof. But a few weeks later he got caught by her other friend who happened to over hear him bragging to another member that he was dating her.
    Then a few weeks after that my best friend started to get harassed by him. He started saying stuff to her like" its a good thing you sat in the back of the room during cyclling class s so that i can't stare at your *** anymore." And follow her around the gym telling her how much he hates woman and that they aren't any good because his wife left him. My friend went right to management and complain about him and they told him to stay away from her and he hasn't bothered her since. Now he is coming after me.

I have another good friend that works at the front desk and he told me yesterday that this guy approached him on Friday while he was working."Very angry he told my friend "tellthatgirl Hannah she's nothing but trouble and that Im not stalking her." My friend was like when did she say that?"e said "she doesn't have to say it I can tell by the way she is, I have an eye for people like that"

Now how crazy is that?I have never even spoken to this guy, and hardly ever look at him much less think he's stalking me. I am madat he caused all this trouble with two of my friends. But I've stayed ou of it because it wasn't my buiseness. I don't even know how he knows my name.
    Now I just found this out yesterday and haven't been back today. I want to tell management but I have a feeling that they won't do anything about it because since this has happened two other woman who I didn't mention have had problems with him and comlpined about it and the same outcome was done. And if I do tell will this just esculate his behavor further? I know it may not Im just worried if it does.
    Im willing to let it slide just as long as he leaves me alone.
    Just wondering what anyone else would do in this situation. Would you let it go for now? Or would you make a complaint right away?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 12:41 PM
    I would talk to mngt. See if they can ban this guy from the gym. You and the other 2 girls as well should all go talk to mngt.

And if they refuse, tell them fine, then you will leave and go to the newspapers. Gyms often don't want sick perves lurking around at their gyms if they know it will cost them clients.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jan 30, 2006, 12:47 PM
    You should definitely talk to management about this guy - stating everything you have posted here, including the other women that have been harassed. He sounds like the kind of guy that will harass you as long as he can get away with it.

At best, management is aware of this "problem member" and is documenting their "casue" for cancelling his membership. At the least, he'll probably stop bothering you.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 30, 2006, 01:02 PM
    You should definitely talk to management about this guy
    They can ban this guy from the gym
    Hi sorry to hear about the problems you have been having at the gym. This guy sounds like he has got real issue's with women and has never got over his wife leaving him, I'm afraid to say this is very bad and this guy can turn out to be a danger. You and the other women need to go and see the management URGENT!! I would tell them that if you don't deal with this issue then you will talk to the PRESS and local media. They will not want the fact that they have a weird guy there as this would do nothing for there REP.

You and the other women may also want to speak to your local police, because you may find this guy is known to them. And if things do turn bad you all have a record of reporting the problems with this guy. If the gym seem not to care about this issue, action speaks tell them to stick there GYM up there *** and join a new one that care's for its members after all don't forget your paying them for a service.

Please keep us updated. Hope it all works out... But most of all keep away from the freak.
    giggles Posts: 143, Reputation: 27

Jan 30, 2006, 03:47 PM
    1. Write down any incident you remember
    2. report it to the gym
    3. tell them you have kept a record and that you are going to follow it up with a report to the police as you fear his behaviour is verging on dangerous.
    4. tell the other women you have reported it to the gym and urge them to put pressure on management too.

If the gym don't take action at this stage, they are doing their business a serious misservice, but as was stated earlier, they might be accumulating enough proof to throw him out.

And meanwhile, try and avoid him, avoid eye contact and if he comes near where you are exercising, adjust your programme and move machine.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Jan 31, 2006, 06:45 AM
    Thanks guys! I kind of figured that I should report him to management. I just wasn't sure if it was enough to maybe let it go or not. I really do appreciate it. You guys have defenitly made me see that this guy could be a real danger, and that's something that I never even thought about before. Im going today and ill defenitly talk with them, Ill keep you guys posted as to what happens.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Hi,
    I agree with all your answers, about reporting him.
    Harassment of any kind should be reported to the management. After that, it's up to them. If it happens again, report it again, and continue reporting it.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help I am going nuts with this [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a movie I saw on TV years ago about a woman who find out from the doctor she is dying so she hires a hitman to kill her she then find out the tests were wrong and she doesn't know how to contact the hitman to cancel the hit I don't rememeber the title or the actress but I have been...

Driving me nuts [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so for the past month or so i have been trying to find a movie that i remember seeing when i was about 6 or so. The movie is partially animated and is about this boy who goes into a library and gets sucked into a book. In the book he becomes animated. He then meets 2 books one is dressed as a...

I Desperately Need Help! Driving Me Nuts! [ 1 Answers ]

My brother and I used to watch this one show when we were younger, maybe about 10 yrs ago, approx.. . it was about this Wolly Mammoth and ice men. One of the people were friends with this Wolly Mammoth. IT'S A CARTOON BY THE WAY!! IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME WITH THIS I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!...

Pop up that's really driving me nuts! [ 6 Answers ]

Ok here's ths web addy that I have tried and tried again to get rid of on my computer. http://www.sysprotectionpage.com/ Now IDK if this is some kind of spyware/virus or whatever, I just can't seem to escape it. I have removed all sourses related to this addy, but it just keeps showing up...

Assistance required. Am I nuts? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Folks. Please forgive me if I get any of the etiquette wrong as this is my first post so please forgive me. I feel, somewhat silly for even asking this but I am hoping one of your readers can give me some indications. As I am beginning to feel I maybe psychic. Incidentally you lot are the...

View more questions Search