Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevsgeni Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Legal to post a picture?
    Is it legal to post a picture on a website with the consent of the person in the picture? For example: I am trying to find a missing person, is it legal to put their picture on a website?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 12:22 PM
    I would say yes.

Or else, how on Earth will all these missing people be found?
    scouto Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 12:28 PM
    I would say if it is a picture exploiting someone then don't do it, but under the situation I would
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2006, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kevsgeni
    Is it legal to post a picture on a website with the consent of the person in the picture? For example: I am trying to find a missing person, is it legal to put their picture on a website?

As done in News papers all the time, all publicly taken photos can be posted.

How and where did you take or get the photo, is the photo copyrighted, a lot of professionally taken photos have a copyright from the studio.

But even then, if you are not taking any money or making money from the site, if they don't want it posted, about all they can do is sue you to have it removed. But then they would have to be found to do this.

We post all sorts of photos, photos taken at parks, at church events, at public events all the time, no problems
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 08:25 PM
    I think legally it only comes down to whether the picture is copyrighted (coryrightten, copywritten,? Lol).

Other than that, as Church said, they may decide to sue you for deformation or something along those lines... but that doesn't necessarily make it "illegal."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who is the person on the picture? [ 24 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me who the person on the picture is? The person is suppose to be well known. http://www.da-shizzaoh.com/hvemerdette.jpg

Post picture in website [ 3 Answers ]

I set up an account in a classic car website. Each member has a picture of a car above his name in the author column then sometimes another picture in the message area. How is this done? I'd like to have a pic of my car in my account.

Picture blurred [ 1 Answers ]

First happy easter day.my question is , what IS the difference between the NIKON N 75 and NIKON F 75.

Extracting a picture [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, this is what I need, I found a picture in the internet that I like, but instead of saving it, I just right clicked in it and saved it as a desktop background. Now I would like to save it in my pictures folders. But where in my PC the picture is? I almost forgot, the site from where I took...

View more questions Search