Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2008, 06:35 PM
    The best way to cut plaster cement ceiling
    Hello, I was wondering what is the best tool to use for cutting a plaster cement ceiling for ceiling fan installation.. Should I use a diamond blade in a circular saw set to debt or is it better to use a sawsall to cut cement ? The metal lattice/lath is something I fear will ruin the diamond circular blade, but thinking it will be less vibration ( don't want the whole ceiling letting loose) I know I might have to zip in some straightedging either way for a clean straight cut upside down. Maybe try both tools and a chisel as needed?

Mar 7, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Never mind, I figured it out without any online tuturiols.. just years of working with the right tools for the right job. Used a couple of ax demolition blades and burnt two doing about 15ft linier ft of cement and wire mesh/plaster ceiling.. but it was well worth it considering the task.. Also the diamond blade circular I tried but didn't want to f up that diamond blade on the metal mesh lath.. at least now I got it open for the electrician.. yup the chisel /circular saw and most of all my portacable recipricating saw !
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Good for you Jon... I was waiting for others to answer you, but the fact is that you just got to bite the bullet and go for it... like you did!

Talk soon... MARK

Mar 8, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Yeah mass, the old process of illimination for hands on use and knowledge of tools and equipment. Next time I'll be sure to carry a few cement cutting carbide sawsall blades. Now I will need to repair plaster holes on the wall I had to open for this electrician.. I'll go over after leveling using furring strips as needed to phase in over the existing ceiling with mold /water resistant GP fiberglass coated gypsum board.. for tape and spackle and eventually paint.. the walls however I will screw puzzle the pieces needed of the 1/2 hardibacker and skimcoat using a sandable plaster patch compound.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stucco or plaster directly to cement board? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Can I apply stucco or plaster directly to cement board? (ie - without the use of a wire/fiber mesh) If so can I do it in one coat or do I have to use a base then finishing coat? This is in a basement I am finishing. Thank you

Plaster Ceiling Repair [ 8 Answers ]

While working in the attic I fell between the rafters and cracked the plaster ceiling in the room below. The ceiling now sags between the rafters and I want to lift it up level and repair the cracks. Does anyone have a suggestion for raising the ceiling? Thanks for any ideas.

Plaster walls [ 7 Answers ]

Hello what is the best way to cover plaster wall holes about 3" big

Cut her loose or cut her slackj [ 3 Answers ]

Dude, this sounds bad, but my friend is hott(not in a lesbo way), and she is friends with all the guys. But whenever she tries to help out a friend, they always endup liking her! It really ticks me off because all the guys love her and I really don't need her taking the only guy I got! She always...

View more questions Search