Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    john_rushman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 04:42 PM
    URGENT - h4 visa to f1 visa and OPT gap issue
    I am currently in New York on an H4 visa. I have just been admitted to XXXX Univ for my MBA which starts in may 2008.I want to pursue the MBA on an F1 visa for which I have not yet applied, but will be doing so by the ed of march 2008 .Is it too late to apply for the visa change if there is only 2 months left before the start of the course? Also, my MBA is a 1 year course, my pre requisites have been waived off because my bachelors were in Business management. Will I be eligible for the OPT after a 1 year course on the F1 status? My primary concern is this: will my status be considered as F1 from the day I apply for visa change (end mar 2008 )/ from the day I join school (may 2008) / or from the day I receive the F1 visa (which could be about 2 months after school starts). Will I have to apply for my OPT 12 months after I apply for F1 / start school / receive F1? This is important because if my F1 status is considered from the day I receive the F1 visa, 2 months after school starts, then I can't apply for the OPT before the end of the 4th quarter of MBA (that will be 10 months after I receive the F1). In this case I will have to do one extra quarter of 3 months course work in order to complete 12 months as required for OPT. On the other hand if I am considered on F1 status from the time I apply / start school, then I can apply for my OPT before the end of the 4th quarter.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F1 visa be transferred to H1B visa with out joining OPT program? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Currently I am MSC student on F1 visa currently authorized to work .I have been working as a software engineer,network engineer and web developer for the last six years . I am confused about the conversion of F1 to H1B Visa status. Can I Change my F1 visa to H1B visa with out joining the OPT...

Student on F1 visa, then OPT and now a H1B visa [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, In 2007, I was on F-1 visa until May, then started working on OPT until October 1st when my status changed to H1B finally! I never left the country in 2007 or 2006 but was out of the country for 1 month in 2005. Based on this information, do I have to file the 2007 taxes as 1040A or...

F-1 visa (OPT) to H-1b visa: how to file tax [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, My status in US has been changed from F-1 visa(OPT) to H-1b visa during 2006. I received approval for my H1b visa in October. And I worked for the same company throughout 2006. I filed 2005 tax with 1040NR. But I don't know which form I should use for 2006. Someone please help me!

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.