Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vivyvonne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 02:16 PM
    When turning on faucet in the bathroom pipes pop!
    I live in a house built in 1975 on a slab and when turning on the water in bathroom the pipes makes a popping sound! Also when I flush my toilet I heard a bubbling sound in the bathtub!:confused: :confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 03:30 PM
    The two issues are not likely related. The tub noise could be from a poorly designed/installed trap but more likley a vent stck that is clogging. Rod the vent from the roof. The popping noises, both hot and cold make the same noise?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Hey Viv.

I am going to ask you to run the washing machine for a full load and while draining... stand by that tub and see if tub still gurgles.. OK?

If it does I want you to see if you can locate the main drain cleanout at the street side of your house... see if you can loosen the cap (large 4" cap just inside foundation or just outside foundation). If you get that far, then I want you to run washing machine again and see if you can flood the drain line and see what happens. Any gurgling/backing up?

Could be clogged vent as Ballenger suggested or could be clogged main drain... or maybe problem isolated to bath area. Try these steps first, get back to us. Either way, to stop gurgling and to prevent this from becoming a bigger issue, you will need to snake the drain/vent in some way.

Are you on septic or city/town sewer?

The popping sounds... hmmm? How long has this noise been going on? Old/new sound? Bob asked if both hot and cold caused popping sounds... answer that. Sounds like expansion of pipes and may not be able to do much with this.. but answer all questions, explore your drain pipes... get back to us.

Take care... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turning Water back on for bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

I had a clog in the pipes under my bathroom sink. I shut off the hot and cold water valves before removing the pipes (just in case someone accidentally turned the water on while working). I ended up replacing the pipes and got everything set up. I turned the water valves back on but, when I turn...

Installing new pop up drain in bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

We are installing new pop up drains (the kind you push down on to close and open) on new sinks without overflow. The drain part sticks up about an eighth of an inch from the sink so after it drains there is always a little pool of water around the drain. The drain came with two rubber washers, one...

Reduced pressure after turning on faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out why I have reduced pressure from my kitchen sink faucet. Initially, when I turn on the faucet, either hot or cold, the pressure is good for about two seconds, after that it reduces by approximately half. I have replaced the seat and springs but that only eliminated a drip....

Banging/Tapping Noise when turning on faucet/flushing toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys! In addition to my little problem with my toilet posted in another thread (can fix it easily), I have another issue. Every time I use the upstairs shower/toilets/sink, when running water, a loud banging/tapping noise appears. When you turn it off, the banging noise still appears...

Turning off water for faucet replacement [ 4 Answers ]

My husband attempted the rather easy job of replacing a kitchen faucet. After turning off water supply, water continues to dribble out of faucet.. He says there some problem in turn off valve. How does he replace valve if water is running out of the faucet? We DO have a well for water supply.

View more questions Search