Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amerchant7 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Daily driver issue
    I have a 06' Chevy 4x4 that is paid off. I considering buying and old beater to save money on gas. I plan on retireing my truck and driving it on weekends.

Its fully inssured. Is there a cheaper insurance policy I can put it on since it will not by my daily driver? Isn't there a policy that states if you only put so many miles on a vehicle a month it can be covered under a different type policy other than a daily driver?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 01:29 PM
    You'll have to check with your insurance agent for this type of policy coverage for your truck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amerchant7
    I have a 06' Chevy 4x4 that is paid off. I considering buying and old beater to save money on gas. I plan on retireing my truck and driving it on weekends.

Its fully inssured. Is there a cheaper insurance policy I can put it on since it will not by my daily driver? Isn't there a policy that states if you only put so many miles on a vehicle a month it can be covered under a differnt type policy other than a daily driver?

No, not in NYS or EVERYONE would claim they almost drive one vehicle... and then drive it everywhere they go at the lower insurance rate.

You should pay a lower premium in general if you are driving only for pleasure and only occasionally - at least with my company.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 28, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Talk to your agent. Typically when you get a policy they ask you to estimate your annual mileage. That estimate goes into calculating the insurance.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 06:07 PM
    In my state (NC), there are separate ratings for daily vehicles vs pleasure vehicles. So when you go to set up your 'beater' you can request that it be moved to be your primary vehicle slot and the Chevy could be classified as a secondary vehicle. Basically, either way in your case, you're going to have a primary and secondary vehicle. It's not going to really make much of a difference which one is listed in which slot. The emphasis is more on the driver than the vehicle. Just know that if you only have one vehicle, it can't be classified as a pleasure vehicle. Check with your specific insurer, because my company offers multi-car discounts and even more discounts for having various lines of insurance at the same company (ie. Life, health, homeowner's/renter's).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Most insurance companies have class of insurance, plus your age, drivers record and more.
    So they nomally look at pleaure class, and also miles driven, normally some look at 10,000 miles a year or less, and other

While it will be "alittle cheaper" don't expect it to be so cheap. Also if you don't want full coverage you can look at liablity only
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    most insurance companies have class of insurnace, plus your age, drivers record and more.
    So they nomally look at pleaure class, and also miles driven, normally some look at 10,000 miles a year or less, and other

While it will be "alittle cheaper" don't expect it to be so cheap. Also if you don't want full coverage you can look at liablity only
    Yeah, as Chuck says, don't expect there to be some HUGE difference. The clincher will be your state's rating system. Here, there's not much difference. Your personal driving record along with the level of coverages you elect to have on each vehicle is what's going to make the greatest difference. However, I don't recommend liability-only. Ever.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 07:19 PM
    I don't know about the libility only, I have a 89 chev pickup with 250,000 miles on it and it is well dented in many places.

I will mention that rates also depend greatly on where you live, for example when I moved from rual TN, to Atlanta Ga my car insurance doubled in price
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom
    Yeah, as Chuck says, don't expect there to be some HUGE difference. The clincher will be your state's rating system. Here, there's not much difference. Your personal driving record along with the level of coverages you elect to have on each vehicle is what's gonna make the greatest difference. However, I don't recommend liability-only. Ever.

Some insurance companies will not insure vehicles if their worth is under a certain dollar amount - I drove a classic and had a very difficult time getting insurance at first because they looked only at the model and year and not at the age of the vehicle. (I trust that makes sense - ?)
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Some insurance companies will not insure vehicles if their worth is under a certain dollar amount - I drove a classic and had a very difficult time getting insurance at first because they looked only at the model and year and not at the age of the vehicle. (I trust that makes sense - ?)
    Of course that varies from state to state. Not the case in NC. Here we have a completely different rating for "classic/show" vehicles. Don't know where you are, amerchant, but the actual condition of the vehicle could come into play regarding your coverages. Some vehicles may not be eligible for certain lines of coverage. So if you get a 1985 "beater" with several dings and dents, you may not be eligible to get comprehensive coverage. Your insurer may also request pictures of the vehicle before binding coverage. Your situation seems pretty clear cut, so I think you'll be fine having one listed as a primary car, and the other as your pleasure car.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 06:38 AM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee]Comments on this post
    Fr_Chuck agrees: classic, yes, I need to start calling my PU a classic

Speaking of classics - !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driver Magic -- Auto Driver Updater [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a software program from Symplis it SymplisIT Corporation - Downloads & Updates I installed program, updated with version 1.1.1 update ---It appeared to install correctly, And update was successfully. The problem is an error message when I launch it... ( ERROR : RUN TIME ERROR...

Issue with display driver. I think :S [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I think I'm having problems with my display driver. Previously I was getting an error message about the ati2dvag.dll file, so I searched the internet for help and I was redirected to a website: OmegaDrivers.net - Home of the Omega Drivers for ATI & NVIDIA desktop/laptop cards. I downloaded...

Cd Rom, Cd driver, Cd writer driver [ 1 Answers ]

I have never had any problems with this before. I used to be able to save data, music, pictures and etc on my cd writer. I tried saving some pictures that I have recently gathered with our new baby and while my wife was pregnant. So I tried everything. The writer does not do anything. Does...

Daily duties [ 2 Answers ]

What does your occupation require of you on a daily basis?

View more questions Search