Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tempic Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Thanks indeed! What a great learning experience! Once it is all working again I'm going to go back through all the connection points with the meter so I know what normal is supposed to look like.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 03:55 PM
    You be careful tempic... and shoot the neighbor! ;) Take care
    Tempic Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 05:16 PM
    I checked with the neighbor just to make sure he didn't switch the wires in the junction box or the heater (I didn't think he did since he thought he solved the problem at the breaker box - but I wanted to be sure)

So I switched the red wire and the fuse back to the other breaker, flipped the breakers back on and immediately heard the heater kick on. YIPEE!

I put the meter on the upper element screws and got right around 240v. Then I tried the bottom and got 0, but I remembered what Mark said:

Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    The upper and lower thermostat (upper fires first till satisfied then sends signal to lower thermostat that fires element until that is satisfied and then lower maintains temperature until someone uses enough water that the upper thermostat calls for heat..and then heats up, etc.) and the upper and lower elements for voltage and resistance (continuity) (Note that both elements will not have power going to them at any one time..they fire separately)
    That is good info - and makes sense now that I understand a bit more.

Many thanks guys.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 05:19 PM
    TEMPIC... you just said the words I have been waiting to hear all day... 240 volts (or so) across the element... LOL. Take care pal!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Tempic,

I'd like to thank you for this bug, but I won't. :)

Enjoy the hot water, now that winter is almost over! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Water Heater [ 4 Answers ]

I have an electric water heater this about 10 yrs old. I have to constantly press the reset button because the heater runs out of Hot Water. When I press the reset button after a while the water becomes almost scalding hot and will eventually turn cold again, which forces me to press the reset...

Electric Water Heater [ 4 Answers ]

There is no water flowing out the hot water side of all sinks, showers, tubs and washer. Problem with the hot water heater?

Electric hot water heater [ 7 Answers ]

I have attached and filled tank. I wired heater to plug--grounds attached to proper screws. When I touch the electrical outlet box cover (metal) and copper pipe on the heater, I get shocked. The outlet has space for three wires ( 2 hot and 1 nuetral ) the wires coming to the outlet have 1 hot, 1...

Electric Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have an electric water heater this about 10 yrs old. I have to constantly press the reset button because the heater runs out of Hot Water. When I press the reset button after a while the water becomes almost scalding hot and will eventually turn cold again, which forces me to press the reset...

Electric Water Heater [ 7 Answers ]

Howdy all again, here's another question. If you read my previous post about Water Circulator Woes, we're going to move upstairs now. My 20 gal electric water heater is pulling too much power. It's discoloring the electrical faceplate, and it actually burnt through it's power cable. But it...

View more questions Search