Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaykay Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 08:15 AM
    Is it my responsibility?
    I have rented an apartment in GA. My lease ends in March 2006. However, I need to move out because I got a job in another state. I gave them 60days written notice which is required. I went to apartment office to return keys on 28, Jan 2006. They said they will do moving-out inspection on next day, and call me and tell me how much I owe them. Today is the day I am supposed to get a phone call from them.
    Anyway,

At the time of returning keys, they told me the rent for February and march and WATER are my responsibility. I am the one who sighned the lease for Sep 05 to March 06. I agree it is my responsibility to pay rent for the lease term. However, I do not agree water is a part of my responsibility.

My apartment has a unique system of water bill. We, tenants pay them $30 flat rate water when we go pay monthly rent. Most of apartments requires you to set up own account and get service directly from water company when movin-in or the monthly rent already includes water, or something like that.

There is no contract betweet them and me that I am resposible for rent and WATER for the lease term. I am not living there or using water. How come do I need to pay for water even it is not a part of contract?

I believe I am legally protected I do not need to pay for something without contract or my-usage.
    Do they have a righ to force me pay something that is not on contract?
    Is it illegal? I felt they threated me.
    If I do not pay them water, they will use my deposit to cover up. If they did, can I appeal?

Thank you for your help..

Regards,

KayKay
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 08:26 AM
    Hi, KayKay,
    http://www.dca.state.ga.us/housing/H...lsrtagrmt.html

Above is just one of many sites with information on GA law, in regards to signing leases for apartments and/or housing.
    GA law does not permit breaking a lease for "buying a house", or "moving to a new employer".
    It does look as if you might be stuck.
    Personally, I would look in the local phone book, for State Government, and look up a number to call, asking questions, until you get to the right Department.
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Hello Kay:

I agree with you that they will try to keep your deposit in lieu of rent. However, what specific purpose was the deposit supposed to meet. Cleaning? Security? If it was cleaning, they can't keep it. If it was security, then they can, but they can't charge you anything for cleaning.

What does your lease say?

Call them today! (They aren't in, or they won't talk to you - I know). Leave a message. Follow up in writing, sent certified, return receipt requested.

In some states, if they miss the time limit for the return of the deposit, then they are liable for treble damages, and can't charge you anything for cleaning no matter how dirty the place was. All states are different. Read your states landlord tenant law. You might find it at rentlaw.com.

You wouldn't play bridge without knowing the rules, would you?

excon
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Hi, KayKay,
    Thank you for your email, and I will answer you here.
    I'm sorry I didn't mention anything about the water bill issue.
    If it's not written out in the lease, I would call the Water Department, and ask them about it.
    Also, follow up on excon's suggestions.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Responsibility for hospital bill? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in TN. I was hospitalized for depression last year 2 times. My insurance approved my first hospitalization. When I was readmitted a few weeks later, my insurance company again approved my admission which was felt to be semi-urgent. To make a long story short, my insurance company, BC/BS, has...

Assuming responsibility [ 6 Answers ]

HI! After have read quite a few entries on different topics here, I decided that we could all benefit a debate about responsibility- ONE of the important keys to healthy relationships. I decided to open it today, after one of Wildcat's inputs, where she assumed relationships concerning one of...

My responsibility to report my earnings for a new tenant [ 3 Answers ]

Dear, friends I just rented a room to a fellow student in college. I am not sure about the proper way to insure that I can rent out to someone on my contract and how to report my income from the tenant for filing at the end of the year. Can anyone assist me with this. Also, I am renting out to...

Buying a car on low income with low responsibility [ 0 Answers ]

I am a student. The car that my parents bought for me doesn't run anymore. I want to buy a new car. My parents have bad credit. My grandparents pay for my schooling, but they will not buy me a car. I only make $5000 to $7500 a year. I have no real financial responsibilities. All of my income is...

Taking responsibility for your own actions [ 2 Answers ]

:'( Well me and my boyfriend have been together for 6 months. We had known each other for awhile before we started dating. We love ech other very much but now it's like daniel tries so hard to make me happy that he tells me what I want to hear instead of what's on his heart. When I...

View more questions Search