Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liza03_6 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Toilet overfills+ tub fills with water= total disaster
    :( :( :(
    My bathroom is a mess! For the past month our toilet has been making gargling sounds and lots of bubbles. We paid no attention to it, so now it overfilled. We also noticed that when we wash at home, all the dirty water fills our bath tub and our toilet simultaneously makes these gargling sounds and bubbles up. We have tried drano in the past, but this doesn't help. PLEASE, help me.. I know that something must be clogging the pipes and that I probably need to "snake" out the pipes.. I have no clue how to do this. Can someone explain to me what I need to do? I don't want to have to tear up the entire bathroom to find the pipes. Thanks for your help. Any and all helping comments/information are welcomed.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 01:52 PM
    You clog is likely not inside the bath but furtherdownstream in your main drain. Do you know what a clean out looks like and do you have any?

Mar 6, 2008, 05:47 PM
    No I don't know what it is. Can you please explain?

Mar 6, 2008, 05:51 PM
    I looked on line and I know what it is but I don't know where to locate it in my home.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Liza... you on city sewer or septic? City sewer cleanouts are typically at the street side of building about 18 inches off the foundation (in the concrete)... or at any height off the floor anywhere along the street side of the building ATTACHED to cast iron/PVC drain pipes... that is important here... Could be separate cleanout in floor... or could be a cleanout at the end of a wye type pipe/drain fitting... look for this (in direct line to city sewer).

Septic tank main cleanouts are usually found at the back wall of the home, headed out to the back yard. They can be just inside or just outside the foundation. If septic... when was last time was pumped..

See what you can find. If no cleanout then may need to lift the toilet and snake the main drain that way... but check for cleanout first as Ballenger suggested... let us know... MARK
    DaPlUmBeRGuY Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2008, 06:02 PM
    First of all the problem is your main line (sewer) and is either blocked w/i the stack or again the main line... depending if you have a overhead system or gravity sewer?
    You need to have yor main rodded out , can be mess and dangerous !
    Call for at least 3 estimates ? We all got to make a living , however it is always safe to insist on a licensed plumber , and bonded and insured is always good to !

Mar 6, 2008, 06:47 PM
    I believe that it is city sewer
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 06:56 PM
    O.K. got your PM... DO you own this building? Sounded like you did.

If city sewer then check front/street side of building... need to follow drain pipes from above to where they enter ground or where they leave the building... Main cleanout should be near this.

Find the cleanout... then call a plumber... You said you were a college student in your PM... drain cleaning can be dangerous and involved. Let us know if you really intend to clear this drain yourself... we will help. Otherwise, call your local plumbing inspector and see who he recommends in your area... ;) . I am sure he will be glad to help. Let us know what you decide... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The toilet tank overfills [ 15 Answers ]

When I moved into my home 4 years ago I found the toilet tank to always be filling to the top and dripping into shaft in the middle. I tried adjusting the ball so it would not do that, but it still filled to the top. I replaced the guts thinking maybe that was the problem. The new guts did the same...

Toilet tank fills when water valve is off [ 6 Answers ]

My toilet tank fills (not immediately after fludhing, but within an hour) even though the water valve is turned off. What could the issue be and can I easily fix this myself?

Toilet backing up, when plunged it fills tub and shower [ 2 Answers ]

Toilet backing up, when plunged it fills tub and shower... help!:eek:

Toilet Overfills and leaks out the flusher handle! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a girl who lives alone and has no handyman skills. Recently my toilet started leaking and I thought the tank was broken, but when I opened the back it was filled way above where its supposed to be. I tried to reset the filler indicator thing, but it still fills too high. Does anyone...

View more questions Search