Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schreoder1959 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Sewage/Grinder Pump not coming on.
    For the past two weeks, my basement sewage pump has not been coming on all the time when needed. I called a plumber the first time, for water was starting to seep out of the top. I didn't hear the pump kick on during my morning routine, so I ran the tap and watched and waited and then water started to seep. I called a plumber, he came in, gently tapped the pipe coming out of the tub with his boot, and the pump kicked in and ran. I used it for two more days without issue, but this morning, it didn't "kick" on again, and I tapped the pipe and it ran like nobody's business. The plumber wanted to put a new pump in, is there anything else that could be done beside replacing the pump? Why does it work sometimes, and not others. We just bought this house, and the pump was put in in 1993 and was not used much the past two years. It worked great for two weeks, and now the "kicking" on problems have started.

Please help!

Mike
    Schroeder1959:eek:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 6, 2008, 06:47 AM
    The plumber wanted to put a new pump in, is there anything else that could be done beside replacing the pump?
    Your plumber wanted to sock you for a new pump when all that's needed is a new float switch? SHAME ON HIM!! Your float switch's hanigng up. Replace it and pump your problem away. Good luck, Tom
    schreoder1959 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Now, how do I go about replacing the float switch without getting covered in raw sewage or causing more problems?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inline vent fan with grinder pump [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone every installed an in line vent fan to vent air to the outside for their plumbing system,especially if using a grinder pump...

Sewage Smell coming from bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

We have a strong sewage smell coming from our bathroom sink. Can you help?

Basement odor with grinder pump excessive gurgling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a grinder pump that was installed when we built our house 14 years ago. It has been working properly however, we now notice excessive gurgling and an unusual odor in our finished basement.

Sewage smell coming from powder room [ 2 Answers ]

We just had hand scraped hard wood floors installed in our kitchen and powder room and now notice an odor coming from the powder room. The flooring company pulled the toilet and replaced the ring. They told my husband that he may have to tighten the bolts over time due to a slight rocking. He...

Sewage coming up from bath drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have a large 2nd floor bathroom with the tub being separate from the shower. This morning I noticed a foul smell coming from somewhere in the bathroom but couldn't locate it. Later this afternoon, while brushing my teeth, I realized sewage was coming from the drain in my tub while the water...

View more questions Search