Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    5683HUGGS Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2008, 12:56 AM
    What do I need to say in court? Trial on Friday March 7.
    I have my trial date set for this Friday, March 7. I want to be totally prepared and would appreciate any final advice. Here is a quick summary: I am being sued by a creditor. I sent out a debt validation letter via certified mail and received no response (a violation of the FDCPA). I've only received interrogatories with a statement that is showing late fees and overdraft fees that are within the statutue of limitation for California (4 years). It doesn't show a payment or any charges within the statutue of limitations. I will bring the debt validation letter and all interogatories that were sent and received. What do I need to say in court? Any and all comments or advice will be more than appreciated. Thank you
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Plaintiff has fail to validicate the alleged debt as required by FDCPA, therefore I cannot admit or deny the alleged claim since plaintiff has failed to validicate it. I move for dismissal with prejudice.

ALso demand the produce the original contract you signed, if no contract, than they have no claim.
    martynick Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Hello,
    I was wondering how your court date went? I think I'm getting ready to be sued also by a creditor and I'm afraid of bank seizure or anything like that.
    I missed the processor; therefore, I have not received my court papers. I'm sure they will make another attempt.
    5683HUGGS Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Mar 10, 2008, 09:19 PM
    The judge ask "what is a debt validation letter"? Are you kidding me??

Ok, so I go to court armed with case law, my debt validation letter, interrogatories to and from the creditor. I thought I was ready, boy I was surprised . The creditor says no more than two words and the whole case was based on what I had to say to the judge (so much for the plaintiff having the burden of proof). When the judge asked what is a debt validation letter, my jaw hit the floor. My advice is to everyone who is being sued by a creditor. Do your research and bring everything to court. File everything you can, and be prepared for the judge may or may not know what you are talking about. Be prepared to teach the judge about FDCPA (Federal Debt Collection Practice Act), etc. What the creditors can, and can not do. The are a lot of creditors that would try to get money from you at any cost. Be armed and fight.
    Thank you for all who has helped me... Thank you.
    F.Y.I. The judge said she was going to give her decision by mail. Today, I got my answer. I DID WIN!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 Jan-March 07 and became an H1-B since March 07 [ 1 Answers ]

I'm single, and I have more than the 180 something days that the presence test requires. I think I can fill form 1040EZ because H1B holders pay taxes like a normal resident. So my question is, can I use form 1040EZ for my taxes, or which form do I need? What if I was working from Jan to...

Court ordered Mediation vs Court Trial [ 4 Answers ]

Hello again, I'm going into a mediation next month concerning a past credit card debt that I am being sued for. I plan on using the SOL defense as the date of last activity falls past the statute date. Anyhow, I was wondering what the difference between a Court ordered mediation and a normal...

Credit Card Court Trial [ 2 Answers ]

I am in severe debt. About a year ago, I had to stop paying my credit card payments because I didn't want to stop paying my mortgage payments and I couldn't make both payments. I have been getting collection agency calls for a while now. They have also contacted most of my family members. One...

Online court trial records? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an working on the history of an individual who, in 2002, was convicted of some crimes in California. I live in Georgia and was *hoping* that it would be possible to get copies of these records either online or copied and sent to me. It will be several months before I can make the time to go...

View more questions Search