Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Mar 6, 2008, 12:07 AM
    Breastfeeding problems
    I have been having trouble getting my breastmilk to come back... it wouldn't come when I had him so I had to feed him formula... but the formula makes him so sick so I have been trying to get my milk to flow so I can give him the best... but when I pump or feed him straight there is only about 1 ounce of milk and he's constantly hungry... does anyone know a way to help get it flowing better?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 03:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starfirefly
    i have been having trouble getting my breastmilk to come back.... it wouldnt come when i had him so i had to feed him formula...but the formula makes him so sick so i have been trying to get my milk to flow so i can give him the best...but when i pump or feed him straight there is only about 1 ounce of milk and hes constantly hungry...does anyone know a way to help get it flowing better?

How often are you pumping or putting him to the breast? To establish or re-establish breastfeeding it helps tremendously to do it very often. Even though he may be having formula right now, you will find it helpful to pump, or put him to the breast, every two hours... as if you were starting from the beginning. Frequency is key to building supply... even with other aids, such as fenugreek, red raspberry leaf tea, mother's milk, etc. they help boost supply along with the frequent feeds.
    Pumping doesn't always work well for some women, and has little bearing on what you are producing. Better option, when possible, is to put him to the breast himself. Babies usually are much better at moving the milk than a pump will be.
    You may have to hand express a bit first and have a little bit on the nipple to get him to latch on. Try massaging the breast prior to the feed... or slight pumping... a warm, wet washcloth to the breast as well might help. All of these are to elicit let down so he doesn't have to work as hard at the breast to get the milk flowing.
    Continue to massage gently around the breast once in awhile as he is on... helps to move the milk but gently enough so as not to detach him.
    Breastfed babies will eat very often... the milk is more easily digested... so expect him to eat more while breastfeeding, at least in the beginning, then he does when he has formula. Watch for any hunger cues... sucking on fingers, smacking lips, tongue thrusting, becoming more animated... put him to the breast when you see these behaviors. It may be even more often than every 2 hours sometimes... go with his cues if he shows he may be hungry sooner. Easier to get him to latch this way then when he is very upset. Crying is the last sign of hunger. If you need to, satisfy the initial hunger with a bit of formula or expressed breastmilk, and then put him to the breast. Try to transition from less bottle time to more time at the breast. If he already latches pretty well, consider skipping the bottle and go just with the breast now and feed when he shows he is hungry. He will space out his feedings once things get going for awhile.
    You may feel like you are wearing him for a couple of weeks... that is OK! If you can have a "nurse-in", a couple of days (maybe a weekend?) where you do pretty much nothing else but breastfeed, you will likely see a difference in your supply.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Mar 6, 2008, 09:10 AM
    You are right, your breast milk is best for your baby. Trust me you can breastfeed. Just be sure you drink lots of water. Put him to the breast often. Little babies are hungry and fussy quite a bit. My little one even had issues with nursing for the first month or so. I know how hard it can be for mother and baby. Its great that you are still willing to try. If its still hard call your local health department. They want you to breastfeed so they may be able to set you up with someone who can help.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 09:16 AM
    The more you feed or pump, the more milk you'll have. It will take a while to re-establish your milk supply, but it will happen. Don't give up, your body has to get used to making milk again. There are allot of great organizations out there that help breast feeding moms, they consist of other moms going through the same stuff you are, sometimes it helps to talk to someone else and realize that you aren't the only one. Good luck and don't give up, you are doing the best for you baby.

One other thing, in case the breastfeeding doesn't work out. Try a soy based formula, maybe your baby is lactose intolerant. Also, do not buy the formula with extra iron, these formulas can cause constipation and other tummy problems, there is more than enough iron in the regular formula. Good luck.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Mar 6, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Check out kellymom for excellent breastfeeding tips and advice. Best breastfeeding site I've found! Good luck!

kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Mar 13, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by automansgirl
    Check out kellymom for excellent breastfeeding tips and advice. Best breastfeeding site I've found! Good luck!

kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting
    Are you back to breastfeeding?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stopping breastfeeding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My wife and I have a two year old whom we been trying to stop breastfeeding. Is this the right time, too early or too late? Also my wife is a frequent traveller sometimes away for a week or two. Is it safe for her to breastfeed after being away for such a long time? Rgds, M

Can I.while breastfeeding? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you smoke while breastfeeding?

Period while breastfeeding [ 1 Answers ]

I had a c-section almost three months ago because I had a placenta previa also I had a tubal done and I am nursing I bled normal after ward and was wondering if I will have my normal period again?

How can you tell pregnant while breastfeeding? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old baby.I am breastfeeding, and no menst. Period yet. Last week had one day light, pinkish spotting. My boyfriend and I had sex the night before. Had negative. Pregnancy test, but am wondering if it is possible it was implantation spotting or just irritation from...

Breastfeeding [ 4 Answers ]

If I breastfeed will it make my nipples a little bit bigger? :D

View more questions Search