Ask
    szabadasz Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Nitrate problems with a new tank with lots of fish
    Hello I am Szabadasz
    I recently have had trouble with my nitrate
    I checked it today along with my ph and iron
    It was high so I took out 25% of my water replaced it
    Add water conditioner then checked my nitrate fixed my iron and re positioned my plants
    After I checked my iron again and noticed it was a litle too high so I took out 10% of my water in my 20 gal tank replaced it checked my ph and iron they were good then I checked my nitrate it was to high. Other info on my tank is I have 2 neon tetras 3 plants 12 longfined leopered danos 4londfined zebra danos 1 leopered dano 1 zebra dano 8 gupies 4guppie fry and 1 dead adult gupie removed shortly after death before tests done. I aso have many small natural snails that were attached to my plants wene bought. Ihave not yet ever done cycle or waste control or have a under gravel filter.mY TANK IS ABOUT 2 AND ONE HALF MONTHES OLD WITH PREVIOUSE LY USED GRAVEL FROM A YEAR OLD TANK I have a 20 gal power head filter with a new cartredge in it. If I get an under gravel filter to help remove exes waste and plant debrese and start to use cycle and waste control will that help with my nitrate problem?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Undergravel filters are really no good.
    They suck all the stuff that would be removed by filter cartridges under the gravel for it to stay.
    Are you using an iron supplement?
    Nitrates build up in a cycled aquarium when not enough water is being changed out.
    Try doing a 25% water change daily until the nitrates are in the safe range, then one water change every 2 to 4 weeks to maintain safe nitrate levels.
    There is no need to use cycle or waste control if you do the water changes.
    Good luck and happy fish keeping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

PH adjustments in my fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 30 gallon fish tank with discus fish I can't seem to lower the PH to the correct setting. I have tried everything at the local pet store it is about 7.5 I need 7.0 please help:confused:

Cloudy fish tank [ 22 Answers ]

Hello , I recently got a new hobby... a 30 gallon aquarium.I have had it about 2 months. Initially I put in 6 gold fish,3 red cap orandas and 3 gold fish. I then went and bought ranchu(fat one) and bought 2 plecos(algea eaters) and 3 apple snails. All are fine, except that 2 of the snails died...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Beta fish tank problems [ 4 Answers ]

We Have two make betas in one tank yes they are in different sides we also have two other betas in two other tanks the tank with the two betas is cloudy and smells like cat urine? THE other tanks are fine any ideas?? :confused:

Fish tank cloudy [ 6 Answers ]

All the typical teats come back normal (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but the water stays cloudy no matter the water changed or not. The fish tank is a 72 bow front with 4 fish 2 Amazon tiger catfish both about 8 in. 1 armor catfish and 1 pleco. I know the tank is not over stocked or over feed. Any...

View more questions Search