Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Paper jams
    Hi all
    I have a Kyocera Laser printer which consistently has paper jams. In fact most times it just won't pick the paper up properly and then the paper jam lights come on. Have any of you had this problem or know how to fix it.

It's driving me bloody banana's. Cheers
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 09:04 PM
    That is why I hate printers
    I found it easier and probably even less expensive (considering the price of ink) to go to UPS or Fedx for printing
    I hope you get it figured out.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    That is why I hate printers
    I found it easier and probably even less expensive (considering the price of ink) to go to UPS or Fedx for printing
    I hope you get it figured out.
    Yeah I know what you mean , unfortunately I don't really have that option as I use it every 10 minutes or so. I'm sure its just here to annoy me.

Thanks anyway :-)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 09:10 PM
    One thing I noticed when I did use a printer is
    I put just like about 10 pieces of paper in at a time and that helped some
    There got to be an easier way though!
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    One thing I noticed when I did use a printer is
    I put just like about 10 pieces of paper in at a time and that helped some
    there gotta be an easier way though!
    Yep I can do the same actually , but that's a pain as you can imagine.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Okay,

Let's make sure we are talking apple to apples. While know of the brand, I've not had actual experience or hands on with the brand.

However, some typical reasons for paper jams are, bad pick rollers. Incorrect paper (as in using paper designed for ink printers instead of laser printers. Paper that's heavy with moisture or to dry. Paper that's the wrong weight. Most laser printers use 25lb.

Also, when the paper is installed in the drawer, you can help yourself by fanning the paper to break up any static electric charge that exists between the pages. Incorrect loading is about 75% of paper problems. Of that amount the larger problems that I have run into usually were caused by the input tray not being set for the correct paper.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 11:30 AM
    If you use the printer that often then the paper pickup roller probably needs to be replaced. If the roller is perfectly smooth then that's a good sign that replacement is necessary.

If you see a piece of paper that's sometimes half picked up, that's another reason

There is usually more than one roller: 1) Each paper tray including sheet feed and in the duplexor

Turning the paper over sometimes help because there is a natural curl on the paper. This fix is usually temporary.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 12:57 PM
    KISS,

Bad pick rollers would account for slippage and single sheet failures.

If I remember correctly she's getting multiple sheets, as in static cling, maladjusted drawer kind of stuff.

If it's the pic rollers, they could try cleaning the rollers with a lint free cloth with a small amount ( And I do mean a small amount) of alcohol on it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Thanks very much all for your answers. I will try all the things suggested and update how I go.

Thanks guys
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 07:41 PM
    donf:
    Totally agree with your logic, but she said:

[QUOTE=friend4u178]In fact most times it just won't pick the paper up properly and then the paper jam lights come on[QUOTE]

That to me definitely sounds like a pick up roller problem when combined with the usage statement. I do have a hard time with the problem statement because paper jams and the "paper jam" light coming on may be two different things.

1) If the paper isn't picked up in time you get a "paper" light.
    2) If it JAMS and you have to locate and find all the pieces, you get a "paper" light.
    3) If it picks up multiple pieces of paper you get a "paper" light and you get to hunt for the pieces as well.

Lack of humidity, static and paper curl are factors too.

The value of the paper count might help us too.

I could only tell the difference between a good and bad pickup roller only when I saw what a good one looked like.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Just to qualify my problem , the paper sometimes doesn't get picked up at all and the paper jam light still comes on , other times it does actually pick up the paper but only feeds half way into the printer and then stops ,paper jam light also comes on then

Oh and by the way I'm a He :-)
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Pickup roller. I'm sure donf would agree with the additional information.

And a reference from a search: Kyocera Parts

I'm only familiar with HP pickup rollers. No dissasembly required. They pinch to release the locking tab. Very easy to install.

donf called you a she and so did I. I guess I was going on his faulty ESP.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Pickup roller.

And a reference from a search: Kyocera Parts

I'm only familiar with HP pickup rollers. No dissasembly required. They pinch to release the locking tab. Very easy to install.

I swear don called you a she. I didn't look back.
    Thanks very much "kis"

And yes he started it :-) It's all good

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homemade Jams,Jellies and salsa [ 8 Answers ]

I am planning on selling my jams, jellies and salsas at farmers markets and specialty stores in my area to see how well they go over. Any advise for me on doing so. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Canon MP600 says no paper when there is paper [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying tp print from Canon MP600 but get message "there is no paper. load paper and press OK" There is paper in feeder - any idea of what solution might be ? Thanks

Ph paper? [ 7 Answers ]

I am within days of being 40 weeks pregnant. I do not want to run to the doctor every time I think my water might have broken. I have been I once because of my wetness and also asked about it once at an appointment. Both times I tested negative on the pH paper. The doctor has told me some women...

Replacing Window jams [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for aluminum replacement jams/tracks for my windows. I want to remove the chain/weights on my wood windows and replace them with aluminum jams/tracks with parting strips that have springs within them and compress against the windows to hold them in place. Can anyone tell me where I...

View more questions Search