Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 5, 2008, 08:34 PM
    The truth
    I didn't really know where to post this,b ut I figured why not put it in the religious discussions where everyone seems to go ato one point or another.
    I just want to see who thinks truth is relative and who thinks truth is absolute. State what you believe and why you believe it please.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Universal truth is absolute
    Man's truth is relative cause they will NEVER agree.

Mar 7, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Thank you for your opinion
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 09:36 PM
    What is your opinion ? I ask this, since often people will get others views and never add to it what they believe to fully be part of the discussion what is your opinon since while asking others their ideas, would it not be fair to give your opinon also

Mar 7, 2008, 09:52 PM
    OK that sound reasonable. I believe that truth is that which conforms to reality.For me, the “truth” is God's truth, as set forth supremely and most definitively in the Bible – and i regard this truth to be in the sense that it cannot be compromised and is not open to purely subjective interpretation. Ultimately, we cannot dissect the truth; we can only proclaim it.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Hi... now this is a strange one... Truth is only relevant to what ever question is asked, e.g. does my bum look big in this dress? do you tell a little white lie as I call them because they don't hurt anyone and say " no love you look just fine" rather than hurt her feelings or do you say,"I hope your not wearing that it makes you look fat" in which case she ends up in tears and it's a full scale handbags at dawn job.

Now technically you've lied if you tell her she looks fantastic everyone's happy and off you go for an evening out, her none the wiser for your thoughts but of course you have lied.
    If your adamant your telling the truth no matter what... well lets face it, divorce might be on the cards, when all it needed was you to lie about her bum

In this instance I would lie... think about it I bet at some point you have as well.
    I speak from an experience when I was about 10 years old, my Mum ( bless her soul ) asked me the very same question whilst we were all getting ready to go to my Dads ( bless him) christmas works party, all of us kids were ready and excited, Mum asked the question I told her the truth that her dress was to tight, she was really upset and consequently stayed home I was only a kid and had been taught to always tell the truth, I never forgot that incident all these years later.

Truth is very important for people to trust in you, I have people who come and ask me things because they know they can rely on an honest answer which of course is important for more serious matters, on the other hand I really don't think being a bit evasive occasionally hurts anyone if it avoids another persons feelings being hurt.

I think world truth is important... e.g.. Heads of government to the people this has to be absolute truth no hidden agendas... parents to their children... faiths to their followers... there are many things in life that should always hold absolute truth, no denying that, but you also have to realize that to leave room for a little white lie occasionally hurts no man.
    GUYBRUSH Posts: 10, Reputation: -3

May 15, 2008, 03:37 AM
    Jehovah jehovah jehovah Monty Python's - Life of Brian-5
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
    There is no such thing as "The Truth"... there are just millions of things that are true.

I think you may be referring to absolute morality when you speak. Is there an absolute morality? Am I correct?
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedhelpfast
    i didnt really know where to post this,b ut i figured why not put it in the religious discussions where everyone seems to go ato one point or another.
    i just want to see who thinks truth is relative and who thinks truth is absolute. state what you beleive and why you beleive it please.
    It is a false dichotomy to say that truth is either absolute or relative. Some Truth is absolute.

God is Absolute Truth.

Exodus 3 14 God said to Moses: I AM WHO AM. He said: Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel: HE WHO IS, hath sent me to you.

God's Word is Absolute Truth.

John 14 6 Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

And that which God ordains is Absolute Truth:

John 17 17 Sanctify them in truth. Thy word is truth.

There are also certain truths which are relative from a certain perspective. For instance, a human being is born and grows up. At each stage of development, a different set of truths or facts is in place.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need the truth [ 5 Answers ]

I'm very interested in religion (mainly christianity). Is there any theological universities or colleges that are open minded and accepting of new knowledge. I don't want to go to a college that has its views set and refuses to accept anything that doesn't match up with what they believe. I want...

Why tell the truth. [ 5 Answers ]

A couple was going out for the evening. They'd gotten ready, All dolled-up , dog put out, etc. The taxi arrives and as they start, the dog shoots back in the house. They don't want the dog shut in, so the wife goes out to the taxi while the husband goes upstairs to chase the dog out. The wife, not...

I need to know if what he says is the truth [ 2 Answers ]

I met this wonderful man through internet. We coincided in so many things and fell in love almost immediately, even before we met in person. When we finally did, we could not be apart anymore. Here is my problem. He told me his story and I can't believe him because it doesn't seem to be logical at...

The truth [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. Is saying the truth a wrong thing in a relationship? I told my fiancé that I will have a second wife after our marriage which is allowed in Islam and she turned me off. Please I need your help to solve this problem. Thanks:confused:

View more questions Search