Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blustar8i8 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 08:22 PM
    cd burner
    all right I don't know if this is the right section but I just got a cd burner from a friend and I need to hook it up to my computer. Somehow?? Its just the little box where the cd goes.its a BURN- proof 16x10x40x. On the back it has all these little prongy thingys that say: digital audio,analog audio, cable select,slave,master, host interface and power.its a 2001. Says its an I/O Magic Corp. CD-RW DRIVE. Don't know if that helps at all. I'm completely lost. Don't even know where to begin. I do know that my computer has the stuff for a cd burner. I just don't know where it goes. It's a dell.?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 29, 2006, 09:05 PM
    You should be able to connect it much like your existing hard drive is connected (i.e. via an IDE cable). There are a number of ways to get this accomplished. First see if you have an additional IDE port on your motherboard. Many motherboards have 2 IDE ports on them and if you follow the cable that goes from your hard drive to the motherboard it might help to locate that port. If you have an empty IDE port then get an IDE cable and plug both ends (one to the motherboard and the other to the CD Burner). If you don't have a second free IDE port on the motherboard then you may notice that the cable that drives your hard drive might have an empty connector on it that you can use to plug another hard drive OR in this case your CD burner. If the cable doesn't have an empty plug then you can run down your local computer store and buy a standard IDE cable (80 pin) that can connect two devices.

So once you connect your CD Burner make sure that the jumper on the back of the CD burner is set to either CSEL (Cable Select) or to the opposite of what your hard drive jumper is set to. i.e. if your hard drive is set to MASTER then set your CD Burner to SLAVE. If your hard drive is set to SLAVE (which I doubt) then set your CD Burner to MASTER. If your hard drive is set to CSEL then set your CD Burner to CSEL.

Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2006, 07:20 AM
    What you might also want to do is go to:

http://www.iomagic.com/

And look up the model and download the manual for it. It should have picutres about how to install it. Alos, if you have an older version of Windows you may need to download drivers for it.
    blustar8i8 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 08:09 PM
    Thank you for your help I will do that. I am also having someone come over and help me tmrw. Ill let you know how it goes :) thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD Burner help [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I need some help. I recently got a computer. By recently I mean I got it around sometime toward the end of October. Anyway my problem is that my cd burner has stopped working. Like it plays DVD's and plays audio music it just won't recognize a blank cd and allow me to burn. The most I've used...

Dvd burner software? [ 7 Answers ]

Yes Hi I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone knew a free software program that burners dvd to disks very fast I have a pentium 3 at 700 mzh And a ram of 384 and 20 GB of space and the one I have now takes over 4 1/2 hours to burn a movie is there a way or program that can make it faster any...

Which CD burner do I buy? [ 5 Answers ]

I'd like to add a CD burner to my 1998 Dell computer. I see a lot of burners available on eBay for attractive prices. How do I know when I've found the right one that'll fit my computer? I have an empty slot in the main part of the computer. It uses Pentium II, Win 98, runs 3XX? MHz, and already...

DVD Burner [ 6 Answers ]

Greetings, I am planning on buying something that I can use to transfer my VHS tapes to DVD, I would also like to be able to make copies of my DVD movies for my son. I am debating between a dvd burner (external) or the software that claims all you need is a cdburner, which I have already on my...

View more questions Search