Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Arxa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Resident Alien Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien?
    I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person.

I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a similar monthly wage from both employers, so two thirds of my whole-year income is from the US company.

What should I do? (My wife is a stay-at-home mom with only investment income, no wages)
    1) Claim treaty-based Canadian residency and file a non-resident alien return as a single person, or
    2) File married/jointly with a W-7 ITIN application for my wife, claim myself as resident alien, and take the married-filing-jointly standard deduction, or
    3) File Dual status, single resident from Jan-Aug and then single non-resident from Sep-Dec?

Does it actually even matter which choice I make, considering that taxes in Canada are higher, and what I don't pay to the US, I will pay to Canada? Please help, I'm so confused :(
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Option #3 (filing as dual-status) is your only choice.

You have met substantial presence, so you cannot file as a non-resident alien, and you did not end the year in resident status, so you CANNOT file as a resident alien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident alien, nonresident alien or dual status [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, I arrived in US on Jan 6, 2004 with F-1 visa. I graduated in May 21, 2007. From May 21, 2007 until November 30, 2007 I was with OPT (that is considered still F1) and worked for a company in US. From October 1st until now (2008) I am under H1B visa working for the same company...

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

Dual status alien files jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA as F2 visa in April of 2006. Then I found a job and changed to H1b visa in September of 2006. I read the pub. 519. It seems I can claim first year chioce and file 1040 as resident alien for the part of year 2006. My husband is F1 student, who has W-2 from school. Could we file...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Dual Status Alien Filing jointly? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and me both moved to America in April 2006 and live here since then. We worked in Germany until then, now he works here. We are Dual status, can we file jointly? When yes, wich forms do we have to use. We have rental income in Germany, what about taxes for that?

View more questions Search