Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nutmeglady Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Lawn mower flooded by saltwater
    Hurricane Katrina flooded my house with 5 feet of salt water, so my new Lawn Boy self propelled lawn mower was completely under salt water. The pull is stuck and I cannot pull it. I have not really tried to start it, but I have had several people tell me that it can be saved and others that have told me to junk it as it is not worth saving and I will only have problems with it. I need it and cannot afford to buy another one at this time, but the grass is badly in need of mowing. Hope someone can give me some good advise on this. Thank you.:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2006, 03:22 PM
    This is the thing, if you have to ask, odds are you are not going to be able to take it all apart and flush it and clean the carb and other areas, plus the pull start and clean and oil it all.

So odds are you are going to have to take it to a repair shop, and sadly right now they are most likely few down there and charging a premium.
    So the real thing is, yes it most likely can be fixed and cleaned ( don't try to start it please) but it will take a lot of work and time. Costly if you take it to the shop.

My guess taking it to the shop and/or buying a new one would be about the same cost more or less, this is a higher end model it sounds like, if it was a cheaper walmart mower I would say for sure just buy a new one.

And honestly if it was mine I would buy a new one if I could afford it but it can be fixed but I doubt if you could find a reasonable shop in your area for some time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Hi Nutmeglady,

I've requested that your note be moved to an appropriate forum. When you first come into this site you see a list of forums and subforums covering various topics. By posting your question in the appropriate area (i.e. Home & Garden>Tools & Power Equipment), you stand a better chance of attracting people who might be able to help.

The forum you selected (Forum Community>Forum Help) is for question about this site itself, not general questions.

Probably the best people to talk to is Lawn Boy itself. You said its new so it may still be under warranty. Also the company may want to gain some good PR by fixing it for you.

Jan 29, 2006, 08:15 PM
    I am a widow on my own, so I am not knowledgeable enough to take my mower apart and clean everything that needs to be cleaned. I cut my lawn with a weed eater the last time and guess that will be the way this summer. :( I will contact Lawn Boy, but really doubt that they would fix it or do anything to help me with my problem. With no walls in my home from the flood I am not in a position to pay to have the mower repaired. Thanks so much for your replies.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2006, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeglady
    I am a widow on my own, so I am not knowledgeable enough to take my mower apart and clean everything that needs to be cleaned. I cut my lawn with a weed eater the last time and guess that will be the way this summer. :( I will contact Lawn Boy, but really doubt that they would fix it or do anything to help me with my problem. With no walls in my home from the flood I am not in a position to pay to have the mower repaired. Thanks so much for your replies.

First, sorry Scott I did not see it under the wrong forum, I was looking under new posts and did not see it headed wrong, just felt sorry for the person.

Well I wish I could be close enough to help, one of my workers does all of our small engines. It may be possible if you go to church somewhere perhaps another member knows how to fit it.

Also write to Lawnboy and tell them about it, it may be good PR for them to even give you a new one you never know.

If you have a small lawn, and you are going to buy a new one, look into a few of the electric mowers, no gas, no cord to pull, just keep it charged and it runs. My wife's dad uses one and he loves it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Don 't count LawnBoy out Companies are looking for ways they can help Katrina victims. This seems a perfect opportunity for them. You can use this form:
    http://www.lawnboy.com/service/conta...l_service.html

To e-mail them a request. If you don't get a qucik response I would call their PR dept.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Hi,
    Salt water destroys engines, with rusting. If you have ever lived in an area where salt is put down on highways during the winter, then if the salt is left on the bottom of a vehicle, it will begin to rust somewhat, even with the best of "bottom proofing" by the manufacturer.
    You have some good suggestions given already. Maybe you can borrow a lawn mower to cut your grass for now. Having your mower repaired may not be a feasible option.
    I do wish you the very best.

Jan 30, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Thank you, I did live in Connecticut, so I do know about salt, but some people here say that the engines on the mowers are sealed so the salt water won't hurt them. I know in my heart that you are right. Thank you for your reply.
    Dolores
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Hi, NutMegLady,
    Here is the main phone number for LawnBoy:

1-800-526-6937

Maybe if you called them, they could guide you to the "relief" efforts talked about in another answer. Also, you could use the online form, as suggested by that answer, but you might get more quick answers over the phone.
    I do wish you the very best of luck, and God bless you.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 05:07 PM
    I'll take a shot at it, the salt water, it'll attack steel, and rust it, which (4cycle)? Or 2 cycle? Will rust the rings, crank and cam in the engine, but if caught in time, drain the oil and change it, shoot some penetrating oil down the plug hole, or marvel mystery oil, let it set overnight, and try to pull on the pull cord. These small engines are not sealed from it, being that the water will fill the carb up, and run right through the breather, into the crankcase, good thing is, it won't affect the alluminum, which is what the bore, if its not a cast iron bore engine, piston, and rod is made of. If you can, ask around for someone in your neighborhood that has a little experience rebuilding carbs and a little engine work. If its gotten back running, change the oil after the first couple hours, for a couple times, just to make sure its cleaned out of salt. Of course, lawnboy, may give you a break and help you out, some companys are good enough to still do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

My father has purchased an old lawn mower for restoration. The model # is 1318430. He thinks it is a Craftsman. Anyone know where to find a picture or details.

Mtd riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi every one I have a very old mtd riding lawn mower that my mother gave me but it keeps throwing the drive belt. My mother thinks that the way she was putting the belt on is wrong does any one know how the belt should go on its about a 1986 model mower.

Lawn mower help [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 poulan pro 42" 2 years old. It will start but no matter what I do it kills, like hitting the kill switch. If I let out the clutch, even in neutral it kills. Engage blades or anything it kills. And the weirdest thing is that the kill switch in the seat doesn't kill it. I really...

Lawn mower problems [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower won't start. The rope won't pull, well, it pulled once them nothing. There is gas and oil in the appropate places.Help I want to mulch leaves.

View more questions Search