Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tony&anita Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Shower drain leak
    Hi there…we have a leak in our second floor shower drain. This had happened once before we bought the house (you can see where they patched the ceiling drywall). We have opened up the ceiling and managed to get the nut loosened from the underside of the drain. There was a paper gasket (which basically had “disintegrated” and flaked off when we pulled it down), on top of the rubber gasket that seems a bit stretched out. The PVC pipe from underneath is glued in to the flange pipe in the shower stall. When in the shower stall inspecting the flange pipe, there is no gasket or caulking apparent underneath the lip – the pipe flange simply sits against the bottom of the shower stall. My question is where to go from here. Do we simply replace the gasket underneath the shower stall? Does there need to be some type of silicone caulking or gasket under the lip of the drain inside the stall? I have read about the Wing-tite replacement drains, but would prefer to fix the one there if possible. Thanks for your help... Tony and Anita.:)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 29, 2006, 03:27 PM
    OK Tony,

You're well on your way to repairing your leak. The fiber washer was installed wrong. It's a anti-friction washer that goes underneath the rubber washer.
    Before we get into repair let's find out why you have to do it at all. What's happened here is the seal under the drain lip has gone bye-bye and you have no seal left. This usually happens when the floor of the shower enclosure hasn't been bedded properly and gives or flexes a bit when someone steps in and puts weight on the floor. In time the putty seal under the drain lip will work out and there you have your leak.
    For a quick repair force plumbers putty or silicon jel all the way under the drain lip and retighten the nut under the drain. For a permanent repair do the above plus beding the shower floor with mortor, cement or wood. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom
    tony&anita Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 09:35 PM
    Hi again... thanks for the quick reply last week. About bedding the shower stall... the bottom of the shower stall is mostly covered by a piece of 3/4" plywood under it that has a hole in the centre (about 5x8 inches) where the drain pipe leaves the shower. There appears to be a bit of a gap (perhaps an inch or so) between the plywood and the shower stall. How would we go about bedding the shower stall better? And one more question... should we be able to just reuse the old gasket (I don't think we can get a new one on easily as the pipes are glued, unless we stretched it over the drain lip from inside the shower stall)
    Thanks for all your help, greatly appreciated
    Tony and Anita :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Hi Tony, Welcome back.

Would it be possible to shim the plywood up around the drain area so it supports it? As for the rubber gasket, You're going to hafta use the old one unless you wanta cut the raiser and install a new friction ring and gasket. The one thing I would do is cut a new friction ring from hard cardboard and make it a "split washer" so it will slip UNDER the rubber washer and OVER the nut so the rubber washer doesn't spread out. All this after you place a ring of plumbers putty or silicon jel under the lip of the drain for a seal. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday we noticed that a good amount of water had leaked from around our can light directly below the shower. (This was the first time we had a problem.) The drain itself seems to be in good working order because water poured directly into the drain does not cause any leaks. This is a Kohler...

Shower Drain Leak [ 9 Answers ]

My house is 17 years old and I am the original owner. The fiberglass shower stall in the 2nd floor master bath is obviously leaking, as the first floor ceiling directly below it has some water spots and was wet to the touch. I removed the drain screen and pulled out 17 years worth of hair. It...

Shower drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak in my shower drain, and I am fairly confident it is between the two screw-in pieces of the drain. The problem I have is it is an upstairs shower, so I do not have access to the floor plumbing at the moment (I may have to start cutting some ceilings :-). Even if I did, the assembly is...

Shower drain leak [ 2 Answers ]

My upstairs fiberglass shower doesn't leak when you run water in it, but leaks when someone is taking a shower. I've checked out all possible leaks and it seems the only thing I can figure out is the floor "gives" with the person's weight. How can I fix this without taking the whole floor out? ...

Shower Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 36"x42" fiberglass shower (mfg: Jacuzzi) on the second floor that is leaking from the drain. I have opened up the ceiling on the first floor for access and had a plumber take a look at it. Appaently the problem is caused by a slight movement of the drain when someone steps into the shower...

View more questions Search