Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBB88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Trying to install linksys notebook adapter and connect wirelessly
    Hello-
    I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop on which I recently downloaded the drivers for and installed a Linksys Notebook Adapter and I cannot seem to connect to my wireless network at home.
    I have a wireless netgear router, the router is 802.11g and so is the notebook adapter.
    The laptop has Windows XP SP1, and I cannot find a wireless utility to even detect any wireless networks or add one? Im trying to figure out if I am missing a step somewhere?
    When I go into Device Manager, I don't even see the notebook adapter that I installed and in the linksys setup screen for the adapter when I installed it, it appears as if its not enabled? And when I'm in the network places screen, I cannot find anything about a wireless network or adding one. Being that this laptop has never connected wirelessly before, and I installed the adapter, I am wondering if I need a utility, but had thought windows had one built in for XP?
    Any assistance would be appreciated, preferably the steps needed to get this working.
    Thanks,
    JBB
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 4, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Try going into Network Places from Control Panel and run the network wizard.

I would connect it up to the rotuer via a wire first and get SP2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My comp cannot connect to my linksys wireless router [ 6 Answers ]

I have just set up a home network using a linksys wireless router (model # wrt54g). I ran the setup software with no problem and connected 2 other computers, 1 laptop and 1 desktop w/wireless adapter both of which connect great. MY laptop, however, that was used to set the network up, would drop...

USB adapter for notebook? [ 3 Answers ]

My mom has an older laptop that does not have a USB port. Is there an adapter that can be purchased to be able to use USB line to modem?

Trying to connect D-Link router through a Linksys. [ 7 Answers ]

I have a D-Link DI-604 that I want to hookup my TiVo and XBox up to, and that router is connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4. The D-Link doesn't seem to be able to connect through the Linksys to get onto the internet. What needs to be changed to get this working?

FireWire IEEE 1394 Adapter install [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a firewire IEEE 1394 Adapter (3 port) and a firewire cable. (1)I installed the adapter per instructions; (2) reconnected all the wires, turned on computer, desktop came up, popup in lower right corner stated "Found new hardware OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller". (3)I went to...

Install WinXP on new notebook that came with Vista [ 17 Answers ]

New laptop has Vista. I want to format and install WinXP. Should I anticipate any issues like missing drivers for the cd/dvd drive or any other oddities? Anything you can think of that I need to bear in mind before I take the plunge? Thanks.

View more questions Search