Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stuggling Mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Child support guidance
    I've recently gone through the whole child support process and have finally come to the end of the court proceedings. I received a judgement with a specific amount. But now I'm not sure what to do next.

My questions are:

Is it up to me to now go to the Child Support Enforcement Bureau to get the payment?? or to get the ball rolling?
    Or does the courts automatically send notice to them?

Any help in this area would be much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Mom of 2 Posts: 449, Reputation: 90

Mar 4, 2008, 08:20 AM
    First of all, what state are you in? I am in Illinois and my lawyers set it up where it was automatically deducted from his paycheck. There is paperwork that the lawyers must fill out to make this possible, so talk to your lawyers about this and see if this was done. If it was not done, ask them to do it. That is part of their job. I did not have to ask for this, as my lawyers saw ahead of time that my ex could be difficult about this. My ex's employer takes it out of his check and sends it to the state. The state then issues me a child support check. It is actually sent directly to an account that I have a debit card assigned to, so the funds are always there.

Hope this helps. You really need to talk to your lawyers about this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 08:28 AM
    You should have asked the court to make it a automatic deduction from their check, and an additional amount to be deducted for any back.
    If not, normally you need to get to know the child enforcement people anyway so a visit to them will not hurt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Can you ask for child support on a child if you OWE support for the same child? [ 13 Answers ]

We have had custody of my daughter for 12 years. Tons of things have happened in those years. My daughter has truly shown her true colors. Three years ago she went to live with my mother, who I gave legal guardianship to. She has now done the same things to my mother. She is almost 17 years old and...

Canadian Law: child support when child is not in school [ 3 Answers ]

If child completes university and is 23 years of age If she decides to take off one year and then goes back to school is she still eligible to receive child support

View more questions Search