Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dunno Posts: 160, Reputation: 19

Mar 3, 2008, 07:07 PM
    My Olds is making funny noises.
    Today my 93' Olds Achieva started making funny noises. When I am stopped or have it in reverse, it's the worst. It makes a really loud, continuous knocking sound. And when I turn it off, it makes a final loud CLUNK sound.

Any ideas anyone?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Could be a number of things.
    How does it run?
    Does it feel like it wants to stall sometimes?
    Does it feel sluggish and little power?
    Does it sound like it is under the hood or the back of the car?

Mar 3, 2008, 07:19 PM
    It's under the hood. Last Wednesday, I was driving up a small hill and it felt like it wanted to stall. But I could only BARELY notice it. It went away and I thought I was imagining it. Then the next day I was going up a bigger hill. Then I really felt it. But it was only when I was going up this hill. The rest of the time around town, it seemed fine. Then today it started with this noise. Ugh...
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Have you checked the oil and transmission fluid levels?
    DO NOT drive it again AT ALL until you have them checked
    If it is either of those and you drive it you could end up needing to replace your tranny or you motor.
    It could still be a number of things but that is most important to check asap!

Check the radiator fluid while your at it.

Mar 3, 2008, 07:25 PM
    My BF checked them both and said the levels were fine. He said they should probably be changed sometime in the near future but that they were pretty clean.

Mar 3, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Oh.. also, my BF just said he checked the power steering pump but that the knocking is coming from somewhere lower than that.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Lower--one of the worser scenerios I would say a spun rod but I dunno
    Maybe motor mounts?
    Does it feel like it bottoms out if you hit a bump?

Is it more in the motor area or nearer the wheels?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Just one thought related to the sparkplugs. Could one of them be not firing properly thus causing the loss of power on the hill? Might be bad wires or old plugs..?

Mar 3, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Does it feel like it bottoms out if you hit a bump?

Is it more in the motor area or nearer the wheels?
    BF says it's on the side where the belt is in the motor area.

I went over some rough railroad tracks today and it didn't feel like it bottomed out and it didn't feel any different than it does any other day.

When BF started it today while I was at work, I could here the knocking while inside my building. While sitting inside the car, it's REALLY loud when I'm stopped or in reverse. But in park it's not nearly as loud but it still makes the sound.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 08:53 PM
    I don't know but since it isn't near the tires that rules out the ball joints and all that stuff.
    It sounds like it might be in the motor
    Maybe the pistons -upper motor
    Or a spun rod - in crank shaft

Mar 4, 2008, 04:32 PM
    UPDATE!

The Harmonic Balancer was broken, so it and the front seal were replaced. No more crazy noises!
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Good! :D
    I was thinking what the stuff around the belt was called but couldn't remember.
    MY x had that problem about 20 years ago.

Glad it wasn't something more serious.

Mar 4, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Me too! He said that other than that, it sounded like it was running just fine. YAY!!

I need it to last a little longer. I have WAY too many trips this year that I need to be saving money for to be worrying about getting a new car!

Thank you guys for your help!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater macing funny noises [ 1 Answers ]

My water heater only 4-5 y/old start making funny noises resembling low frequency hum which would change in pitch. Tried to drain it, shut cold water intake = no change. This noise will travel tru pipes and get really annoing. Is this time to change it?

Water pipes making noises [ 3 Answers ]

I have low water pressure and water pipes making a terrible noise. I have installed hammer arresters, they did not help---so please help me Thanks

Laminate Floor Making Popping Noises [ 4 Answers ]

I've looked and can't find this question. I had laminate floors professionally installed; while I understand the "hollow" sound when walking in shoes, mine is making a popping or cracking sound in places. When I called the contractor they said it was due to settling and should disappear in a few...

Toilet making strange noises [ 5 Answers ]

Thought I would run this by you guys and hear your thoughts on what might be causing an issue we have with our toilet. Recently the fill valve on one of my toilets failed so I replaced it with a fludimaster. The toilet flushes fine but noticed that while flushing there is a strange gurgling sound...

Gas water heater making funny noises [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sprinkler problem in the front yard that has made it necessary to turn off the supply to the house. SInce I did that, the gas water heater has started t make squeaking noises. What, if anything should I do?

View more questions Search