Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freedom Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Retaliation in the workplace
    What to do when victim of upper and mid-management workplace retaliation, harassment and hostile environment?

Exhausted lower management
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2006, 08:05 AM
    First what nation are you from, protection in the US is different than Canada, and different from Iraq for example

Can you give more details. Is the harassment under a protecteclass, race, religion, sexual??

If they are just making work hard for you because they don't like you?

Jan 29, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    First what nation are you from, protection in the US is different than Canada, and different from Iraq for example

Can you give more details. is the harrassment under a protecteclass, race, religion, sexual ????

If they are just making work hard for you because they don't like you??
    I am an American woman of African descent over 40 in New Jersey who complained of sexual harassment
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 29, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Have you filed a formal complaint with your local EEOC office?:cool:

Jan 29, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Have you filed a formal complaint with your local EEOC office?:cool:
    Yes I did however the violation behaviors of the employer has been so many and varied that even the eeoc has been continualling updating the complaints causing delays. Now the ultimate - the discharge.
    How does one get around the firing aspect with a perspective employer without getting bogged down and possibly obligating them. You know if on is honest and forthcoming about a civil rights/eeoc complaint. Merely sharing that info put an undue burden on the interviewer. One could always claim that as the reason for not hiring. I'm in an odd place(limbo). Who wants this?

Thanks for your input.
    Sinkig in jersey
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 29, 2006, 10:49 AM
    Yes I know that the process is at times both frustrating and demeaning but there are no short cuts to dealing with unreasonable employers.Make sure you apply for unemployment benefits and stay the course.You must be paid from the date of filing so time is of the essence,Failure to file only cost YOU money not them Get this done as this will be a long drawn out process because sadly they know people get discouraged and stop fighting for their rights,Don't give up hang in there and good luck and keep us posted!:cool:
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Jan 30, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Another thing you may want to look into is if this sort of complaint was been brought up before against these people. When harassment is as systematic as you have indicated it usually is endemic as well. This sort of information will strengthen your case and also give you a sense that you are not fighting this alone. Check with your Attorney General's office for this information and file a complaint with that office as well. Meanwhile keep your tongue. Keep all of your correspondence factual and brief. Do not talk to any coworkers about your actions and resist being lured into a 'private' discussion with the principals of this matter. Good luck.

Jan 30, 2006, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by augustknight
    Another thing you may want to look into is if this sort of complaint was been brought up before against these people. When harrassment is as systematic as you have indicated it usually is endemic as well. This sort of information will strenghten your case and also give you a sense that you are not fighting this alone. Check with your Attorney General's office for this information and file a complaint with that office as well. Meanwhile keep your tongue. Keep all of your correspondence factual and brief. Do not talk to any coworkers about your actions and resist being lured into a 'private' discussion with the principals of this matter. Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you've been in the trenches.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2006, 09:29 AM
    Hello freedom:

>>>Sounds like you've been in the trenches.<<<

How about UNDER the trenches?

Good advice so far. Me? I'd get a little mad. They already fired you, so it's time to stop playing Ms. Nicegirl.

Upper? How upper? The top? Then you have nobody to complain to within the company. If it's not all the way to the top, write a letter to the top guy. Send copies to every member of the board of directors. Send copies to the EEOC. Send copies to your local newspaper and TV stations. If you look hard enough, I'll bet you can find lots of government agencies where you can complain.

The EEOC is a slow moving bureau. But, if you "manage" your case with them, it can move a lot faster. Do you know what I mean when I say "manage"?

Or, maybe you just might want to write a letter to the top guy, and threaten to send all the other letters if he DOESN'T give you your job back.

excon

Feb 1, 2006, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello freedom:

>>>Sounds like you've been in the trenches.<<<

How about UNDER the trenches?

Good advice so far. Me? I'd get a little mad. They already fired you, so it's time to stop playing Ms. Nicegirl.

Upper?? How upper?? The top?? Then you have nobody to complain to within the company. If it's not all the way to the top, write a letter to the top guy. Send copies to every member of the board of directors. Send copies to the EEOC. Send copies to your local newspaper and tv stations. If you look hard enough, I'll bet you can find lots of government agencies where you can complain.

The EEOC is a slow moving bureau. But, if you "manage" your case with them, it can move a lot faster. Do you know what I mean when I say "manage"?

Or, maybe you just might want to write a letter to the top guy, and threaten to send all the other letters if he DOESN'T give you your job back.

excon

Hi excon:
    The "top guy" is also in play. You're absolutely right about the board. They are his boss and should be made aware of the actions taken by him and the senior staff under his direction. Thanks! I'll get the word out to them immediately.

I have considered the press however; I do have concerns about liability. Actions and statements that could in the long run have an adverse impact on me.

Governmental agencies... Which ones would you suggest?

You are absolutely right: The EEOC seems to move at a snails pace. I think that their investigative period takes an inordinate amount of time. You know I feel like wounded prey.

Now for " manage " I don't know what you are referring to. Please expound.

Look forward to a response.

Wounded and under the trenches!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Workplace Human Relationship [ 2 Answers ]

Any tips on writing and publishing my first book on Workplace Human Relationships?

Workplace accident [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a law that an accident report must be filled out when someone falls at work? Three people have fallen in my workplace now in the last 5 months because of water or soup on floor (I work in a restaurant). The one girl hit her head pretty hard but employer says he does not make out accident...

Workplace Spouses [ 2 Answers ]

I am a journalist working on a story about the phenomenon of "workplace spouses" a reference to the intense personal and empotional bonds--not sexual--that can form between mena and women who work very closely together for very long hours. I have been told by HR experts that these relationships can...

View more questions Search