Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zimms22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Beagle barks when alone
    I have a 12 week old beagle puppy. She doesn't let out a peep when we're home with her or even at night, but when we leave her during the day she barks and howls constantly. We live in an apartment so this is a big problem with neighbors. We are even trying a shock collar right now but it seems like she just gets used to it as I came home for lunch and heard her making a lot of noise again. Any suggestions??
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 3, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Go to Premier.com and look at the bark collars that use a burst of citronella spray rather than a shock. Hounds can be pretty tough and they are inclined to bark anyway. The citronella just has an unpleasant smell and makes a hissing noise that distracts the dog. While you are on the site, look for some interactive toys like Buster Cubes or Kongs. The puppy has to manipulate these to get to the goodies inside, and it gives him something else to do with his mouth! I have also heard of people hiding the puppy's food all over the house so he can use his nose and "hunt down" his prey. I like these methods because they work with the puppy's instincts instead of trying to turn them off.
    You may even need to consider adopting a second pup or older dog, since Beagles are a very social breed and are often hunted in packs.
    Let the neighbors know what you are doing, and ask them to tell you which days he barks less so you know what works best. They hopefully will be more understanding when they realize you are trying to fix the problem.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Good idea above to include the neighbors, and even ask for their suggestions if they might have any that could benefit everyone involved. They will be glad that you are not ignoring them, and might be a little more forgiving if you can get them to feel that they are working on the issue with you.
    lindsayminar Posts: 51, Reputation: 6

Mar 3, 2008, 09:04 PM
    You bought a beagle and hoped it wouldn't bark?be careful with the shock collars I've heard cases of it making the barking worse. A
    EllieMae500 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 10:05 AM
    How often do you walk your dog? You need to ensure you walk your dog a good 30 - 45 minutes before you leave - he'll be too tired to bark. A tired dog is a good dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy barks [ 3 Answers ]

We are the proud owners of an 8 week old yellow lab, Gunner. He is much different than our last lab in that he seems to be a bit more vocal. Our new guy barks at his toy's, us & the occasional leaf or twig he can't reach. Is there a way to determine if this early chatter will lead to a life of...

Puppy barks at cat [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get my now recovered gorgeous staffy puppy to stop barking at my cats? They are brave enough to swipe back but then she barks continuously:eek:

My dog barks all day and all night! [ 1 Answers ]

OK I have this dog and I have a doggy door so when I'm gone he can go when he wants. But when he's outside he barks and barks! And when he's inside if he hears someone in the house he will bark at them! :mad:so can I get some help!! :confused:

New Dog very protective/barks/runs off [ 6 Answers ]

We just got a new cockapoo 4 days ago,and he won't eat his dog food,only some table scraps and I know you shouldn't but I was worried and thought I should give him something to eat.What should I do? Also he seems very protective of me(a woman)He won't go to the bathroom if I don't take him,He lays...

Puppy barks and growls at other dogs what do I do about it [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy barks and growls at other dogs she gets along with our other puppy. We live in an apartment and when she is on the patio and another dog walks by she growls and barks and when we take her out for walks or to petsmart she does the same thing but she also tries to go at them. This happens...

View more questions Search