Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmathe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Property Damage to rental due to burglary
    The townhouse I am renting was buglarized--by breaking out a window. Now the landlord is telling me that I must pay for the broken window.

Whay are my options?

Thank you,
    tmathe
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Did you make a police report of the crime? Did you report it to the landlord? Did you take pictures of the broken glass to verify that the glass was broken from the outside?

Was it a fixed glass or a slider? The importance is high because the cost varies greatly if someone has to come out or whether the frame can be taken in.

You need to convince the landlord it was not your fault of they have the advantage because in the end they can simply deduct the cost from your security deposit when you move.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 03:02 PM
    [QUOTE=tmathe]The townhouse I am renting was buglarized--by breaking out a window. Now the landlord is telling me that I must pay for the broken window.

Whay are my options?

What does the lease say about damage? On one hand homeowners or renters could cover it; on the other it's your problem, damage which occurred during your tenancy.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 03:53 PM
    This is something that would be covered under a renters policy. As the tenant you are responsible for the property with the exception of specific items that would be outlined in your lease agreement.

Check the agreement, see what it says, but I'll bet you will have to take care of the window.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Window breakage was something I always held my tennants liable for when I had rental policies. If I had to go and fix it for them, I would merely add it to next months rental fee. Since house insurance nomally has 1000 deductable or more esp on rental properteis, That is also why in all my rental agreements I stated they should get their own renters policy.

But your choice, if landlord is refusing to fix it, well leave it unfixed?
    Or fix it. After you fix it, if you want to sue them for the cost, you can,
    That is about your three choices
    1. do nothing
    2. fix it and you pay for it
    3. fix it, you pay for it, then sue for the money back
    redAjumper Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Tell him you may pay for part of it but it is mostly if not all his problem
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redAjumper
    tell him you may pay for part of it but it is mostly if not all his problem

Sorry but you are incorrect - unless the lease states something else a broken window is the responsibility of the tenant. How it got broken is immaterial. If the tenant wants to pursue whoever broke it (which does not seem to be the case here) that's up to the tenant.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 06:20 AM
    Hello t:

I don't think you are responsible for damage caused by third party criminal activity.

I seem to be in the minority of opinion, however, and I don't KNOW that my answer is correct. I'd refuse to pay and let a judge tell me I'm wrong.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burglary, Theft of Property, Attempted Arson (fiction writing) [ 14 Answers ]

--I DID NOT COMMIT THE FOLLOWING, IT IS A WORK OF FICTION. PLEASE REVIEW IT AND SEE IF I CAN MAKE A BOOK OUT OF IT-- Hello, I'm hoping you can answer a fairly important question for me. First off, this involves a church being robbed, so if your first response is to condemn me to the fires of...

What kind of damage due to an CRV engine overheating [ 1 Answers ]

My CRV overheated due to low radiator fluid. In the past couple of months, I've needed two valve jobs. Could this be a result of the overheated engine?

Damage to city property due to car accident [ 1 Answers ]

In December of 2003, while driving, I got into a car accident. My back tires hit a patch of ice, and I swerved into the oncoming traffic, so I reacted quickly and wound up jumping a curb, sliding across a fence, and then the car stopped. The fence (chain link) had some minor damage, and my car was...

Fire damage at rental property [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a fire in my apartment. I was told by the owner of the property that their insurance company is going to sue me for repayment of the damages. What are my rights as a tenant? Can they really sue me?

View more questions Search