Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Johnny Luker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 12:12 PM
    1 felony or not?
    My question falls in to two categories, criminal law and family law. I am fighting for custody of my 3 children. Their mother, my ex wife, is now in jail waiting for her court date for trafficking schedule II drugs. She was in prison for life for murder but got out on parole after 10 years in prison. She was released from parole on an HONOR SYSTEM in 2006 due to supposively no drug use or any other violations. Now she is waiting on a bond hearing to determine her bail. My question is this: Even though she is off parole, which I can't understand how, will her murder record effect her new charges, example: more than 1 felony, multiple violations, etc.
    lgehner Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 12:31 PM
    A lot of your question will depend on the laws in your State. In S.D. if you violate probation, parole or any other conditions of your release, you go back to jail to serve out the remainder of your ORIGINAL sentence. Most states DO NOT purge your record, especially for felonies.

For example, you are arrested for robbing a bank. The Judge orders you to pay a fine, puts you on probation and orders that you violate no laws for 10 years. Under these conditions, your 5 years of jail time is suspended. Then the next year, you rob a grocery store. The Judge will make you serve the time for your bank robbery that was suspended, as well as the time for robbing the grocery store.

If it were me, I would first get a copy of her original sentence. This is public record available through the Clerk of Courts and may cost you a small fee . Then I would look up the laws in your state... most are available online either through your State Bar Association or with various Universities. Otherwise, contact your local legal aid office for assistance. Or, talk with your family law attorney... s/he should be able to get all this information for you and advise you.

I'm not a lawyer and this is just informative information available to everyone. Please contact a lawyer of your choosing for legal advice.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 06:04 AM
    Hello J:

It won't affect her charges. It will affect her sentence.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Yes, excon is correct it will not have an effect or even be allowed to be mentioned normally in the actual trial, it will be allowed in the sentencing phase.

Also are you sure she is off parole? Normally she would have been on parole for at least 10 years ** just what I am used to see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony [ 6 Answers ]

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony. I see many questions on this topic... please post my input. A summary Court Martial is not a felony conviction period! There is nothing in the military to equate a Court Martial to a felony or misdemeanor conviction. The federal courts look...

A felony [ 3 Answers ]

I have a felony. A D felony. I heard that you can get this droped. Is this true? If so how do I do it?

Felony theft [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been charged with 2 counts of felony theft.one for theft and one for failure to make diposition of funds. I have pled guilty. The district attorney is not making an offer. What hppens next? I do not want a trial. I have admitted to the crime. Any answers?

Felony bonded [ 1 Answers ]

Is there an insurance co. that will bond a felon? Felony has nothing to do with theft or violance.

Felony and teaching [ 4 Answers ]

When I 21, I got in attempted trespassing charge, which is a felony will I still be able to become a teacher.

View more questions Search