Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 3, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Vapor Barrier on Shower Walls?
    If your installing a shower should you put a vapor barrier behind the cement board or seal the cement board with redgard? I've heard both is bad, so one or the other. One wall is on an exterior wall and has a vapor barrier already.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Your insulation vapor barrier should face the warm side of the wall already. Never make a double vapor barrier in any walls. Butter the seams on Wonderboard or Hardiebacker with the same modified thinset you use the set the tiles.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 3, 2008, 01:22 PM
    OK, thanks. I didn't think sandwiching the cement board would be a good idea but my tile rep said to do it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Tile rep are probably great at helping to find the best tile but not always so great with installation. Advice. You should embed some fiberglass drywall tape in the thinset when you butter the seams.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vapor barrier in Bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

I am doing a bathroom remodel in my Central PA home. I have heard several different opinions on how to install a vapor barrier. I was told by one person that I should install unfaced insulation on all exterior walls and then install a 4 mil poly vapor barrier. After that, I should install green...

Shower stall vapor barrier [ 3 Answers ]

I'm building a new tiled shower stall with cement board backer. I've read that a vapor barrier should be placed over the wall studs before the board is installed, because the tile/cement board combination is not waterproof. We have an acrylic shower receptor, the directions for which also...

Basement Remodeling w/Metal Studs - Vapor Barrier? [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to refinish a large portion of my basement and have gotten recommendations to use metal studs from a friend, but two estimates from contractors who recommend wood (treated where in contact with concrete floor). I have been advised that with wood that I can frame sections and...

When do I trim the vapor barrier in my remode of tube/shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am adding a shower to an already existing tube in a bathroom. I have removed everything down to the studs around the tube and am ready to put up my 4 mil polyethyline sheeting for a moisture/vapor barrier. I know that I need to put up 1/2 inch cement backer board next (following the...

View more questions Search