Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjlex Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 10:25 AM
    What if I drive without licence in KY?
    I bought a car but don't have a driver license. I failed two times in the road test because of lacking of experience. I want to practice more but it's hard to find people to be with me all the time. I'm wondering if I can drive alone on the road with only learner permit? Can someone give me a suggestion? Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjlex
    I bought a car but don't have a driver license. I failed two times in the road test because of lacking of experience. I want to practice more but it's hard to find people to be with me all the time. I'm wondering if I can drive alone on the road with only learner permit? Can someone give me a suggestion? Thanks!

My reading is that you cannot drive on a permit without a licensed driver in the vehicle - if it would be any other way they wouldn't issue learner's permits.

Also appears if you are stopped driving alone on a permit you forfeit your opportunity to apply for a license for a period, looks like 6 months, plus it's a V&T infraction.

Have you tried driving school?

Mar 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Thanks JudyKayTee. I didn't try driving school since what I need is just to accumulate driving experience.

I checked the Kentucky driver manual again. It looks like only people under 21 needs to drive with an adult as supervision. People above 21 with only a learner permit does not have this restriction. Is that correct?

By the way, I'm in Kentucky.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjlex
    Thanks JudyKayTee. I didn't try driving school since what I need is just to accumulate driving experience.

I checked the kentucky driver manual again. It looks like only people under 21 needs to drive with an adult as supervision. People above 21 with only a learner permit does not have this restriction. Is that correct?

By the way, I'm in Kentucky.

Driving school is a great way to get experience - but it can get expensive.

It appears to me that ANYONE with a permit needs a licensed driver with them - if you didn't what would be the sense of a learners permit? There would be little or no difference between a license and a permit because both would allow you to drive unaccompanied.

Mar 3, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Yes, I agree. That's why I was thinking I have to get a accompany. However, when I check DMV website, it has the following statement:
    Kentucky Drivers Permits - KY Learner's Permit Online Guide - DMV.ORG

==
    Permits for Applicants Under 21

Those folks who are under the age of 21 and hold a Kentucky instruction permit must keep it for 180 days before they can apply for their driver's license. You'll also be allowed to drive only when accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older; the adult must be sitting in the front passenger seat at all times.

Those who are under 18 must participate in the Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) program. This means a few more restrictions:
    ... (omitted here)

Permits for Applicants Over 21

Residents who are over the age of 21 and hold a Kentucky instruction permit only have to keep it for 30 days before applying for their driver's license. Participation in the GDL program isn't required.
    ===

What do you think. My understanding is that the above statement is just telling you people above 21 doesn't have restrictions.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 03:50 PM
    As I read the law in Kentucky it looks like you need to be accompanied by another driver regardless of how old you are. It's only the folks under age 18 that need to participate in the GDL program.

I sure hope you are not driving around alone because if you are stopped by the police I really don't think they'll take too kindly to you being alone and not having a driver's license and just a permit. Please try to get someone to go with you in the car for your own safety and the general safety of the other drivers on the road.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Mar 3, 2008, 04:29 PM
    I agree that you aren't allowed to drive without a licensed driver with you. Is there someone you could ask to help you drive around and practice? Maybe a co worker or a friend or relative? One thing that helped me was to find out where I would be taking the drive test, and then practice driving around where the test route is. It helps to know where the stop signs are, intersections, one ways, etc. When you feel that you are ready to take the test, have a friend drive with you and do a 'practice test'. Have you friend tell you where to drive and give instructions like the driving instructor will do, and then see how you do. When you are both confident that you're ready for the test, give it a try, and hopefully you will have your license soon! Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Let me see first there is a reason you can't have a license, you can't drive safe by yourself. But if you did, if you get caught, normally you will be banned from getting a drivers license for a year to 3 year depending on your state. So basically you risk not getting it for a long time wanting to get to too fast.

Mar 3, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Thank you all for the kind comments! I'll take your advises to have a accompany with me to accumulate my driving experience. My friends had been helping me on this for a month, I hope they are not bothered too much by me :)

I appreciate all you guys and this website!
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 09:28 PM
    I also found that you must have a licensed driver 21 or over with you when you take the driving test... to drive the car in case you do not pass your exam... so that goes along with the need to have that person in the car with you at all times...
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    I also found that you must have a licensed driver 21 or over with you when you take the driving test... to drive the car in case you do not pass your exam... so that goes along with the need to have that person in the car with you at all times...

Once again I have to wonder who writes the laws - you have to have a licensed driver with you at all times if you have a permit; then it goes on to say you must have a licensed driver with you when you drive to the testing place in case you don't pass and have to drive home - ? Amazing.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Way back when I took my test, I thought it must be because people actually showed up alone, to take the test... meaning that they had driven by themselves, and then wanted to drive off alone after failing the test. There would probably be some major liability for the testing center to allow that, knowing that the person was unlicensed... so they have to put it in writing to try to elliminate the problem. However, that will only stop the people smart enough to read or listen to others.

I once heard that in Kentucky, the law used to allow people to drive on dirt roads without a license, but in order to drive on the blacktop paved roads they had to have a license. I don't know if that was true or not... only what I was told.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Hello jj:

You don't need a license to drive on private property. Find a farmer friend and drive your brains out on their farm. You'll get experience, and you'll do it legally.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Licence fraud [ 3 Answers ]

Stature of limitation for licence fraud

How to know what licence to get [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got a cleaning job in a dental office. Now I am thinking of expanding to an acual business. I do not know where to start. Do I need more than one licence for the state of Washington? Where do I go to get it? What are some important things I should know going into this? Any advice would...

Driving licence [ 1 Answers ]

I've no passport or other identification how do I go about applying for driving licence in uk I'm irish and living here two weeks

Do I need a business licence [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small business out of my home. I do photo slide shows onto DVD. I only plan on making around $1,000.00 a year. Do I need to file for a small business license in the state of GA?

Licence suspension [ 3 Answers ]

If you are asked to hand in your licence for 5 months and it affects your ability to work or commut can you fight it? As I haved to quite my job and move into town.

View more questions Search