Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pie812 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 07:15 AM
    10-15 pounds by summer?
    I'm 17 and I want to lose 10-15 pounds by summer, to feel better and of course look better. What do you suggest?
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Mar 3, 2008, 07:25 AM
    To burn fat you have to burn more calories then you take in. So instead of trying to eat less which rarely works exercise more. 10-15 pounds so go off in less than a month.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Pick a plan and stick to it -- stop soda and fattening snacks

lose+weight | eHow Search
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Exercise and diet are what you need to tackle... and, unlike many posts that show up here, you have a reasonable timeframe to work with for this weight loss... 3-4 months for 10-15 lbs can be done in a healthy, sustainable way. It is doable, especially if you act now.

As already said, you need to control your junk, empty snacks. Doesn't mean don't completely neglect your cravings... my wife has a chocolate fetish, so when it hits her, shell make herself a deal. One workout before she gets the treat, and shell eat a small, awesome choc truffle instead of a lot of mediocre stuff.

You may not have a lot of control over your food, as you aren't likely cooking a lot. Start with portion control... meaning use a smaller plate and take a little less food, though keeping veggies and fruits up is good. When you start to take smaller portions, you'll find in a short time that you get used to it. Also, spreading your food out over time is good... especially avoiding the huge dinner that many people eat, late in the day when their metabolism is winding down.

Just don't starve yourself... your body will respond by storing more food as fat, the complete opposite of what you want... so you need to moderate your food to healthy, reasonable portions that gives you the energy to get through your day.

You might be eating reasonably as is... just be thoughtful about what you are putting into your stomach... are you hungry or are you eating something because it tastes good or you are thirsty or bored?

Find a way to exercise. Just do it. Everybody, including me, can find excuses and fill up their schedules so full that there just "isnt time"... yeah, there is. It just isn't convenient. I often exercise early in the morning... I hate it, but it works for me, and then my metabolism is kicked up for much of the morning foods and snacks.

If you are serious about toning and shaping for the summer, please try to find a way to exercise... this will kick up your metabolism, tone your body so you get sleeker definition, strengthen your body so when summer comes you can play in the sun with a strong body, and just overall make you feel better.

Your local library probably has exercise dvd's for checkout. Taebo, kickboxing, pilates, etc... we have bought and use all of these as a way to get in an early morning workout without going to the gym, though we do that too.

And be patient... don't worry about the lbs coming off quickly... you have time... give yourself 6 weeks to start to see a difference. If you start now with some simple changes in eating, and especially with some simple changes in workout, you can get where you want to be.

Let us know how its going or if you have more questions.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Mar 3, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    exercise and diet are what you need to tackle... and, unlike many posts that show up here, you have a reasonable timeframe to work with for this weight loss... 3-4 months for 10-15 lbs can be done in a healthy, sustainable way. it is doable, especially if you act now.

as already said, you need to control your junk, empty snacks. doesnt mean dont completely neglect your cravings... my wife has a chocolate fetish, so when it hits her, shell make herself a deal. one workout before she gets the treat, and shell eat a small, awesome choc truffle instead of a lot of mediocre stuff.

you may not have a lot of control over your food, as you arent likely cooking a lot. start with portion control... meaning use a smaller plate and take a little less food, though keeping veggies and fruits up is good. when you start to take smaller portions, youll find in a short time that you get used to it. also, spreading your food out over time is good... especially avoiding the huge dinner that many people eat, late in the day when their metabolism is winding down.

just dont starve yourself... your body will respond by storing more food as fat, the complete opposite of what you want... so you need to moderate your food to healthy, reasonable portions that gives you the energy to get through your day.

you might be eating reasonably as is... just be thoughtful about what you are putting into your stomach... are you hungry or are you eating something because it tastes good or you are thirsty or bored?

find a way to exercise. just do it. everybody, including me, can find excuses and fill up their schedules so full that there just "isnt time"... yeah, there is. it just isnt convenient. i often exercise early in the morning... i hate it, but it works for me, and then my metabolism is kicked up for much of the morning foods and snacks.

if you are serious about toning and shaping for the summer, please try to find a way to exercise... this will kick up your metabolism, tone your body so you get sleeker definition, strengthen your body so when summer comes you can play in the sun with a strong body, and just overall make you feel better.

your local library probably has excercise dvd's for checkout. taebo, kickboxing, pilates, etc... we have bought and use all of these as a way to get in an early morning workout without going to the gym, though we do that too.

and be patient... dont worry about the lbs coming off quickly... you have time... give yourself 6 weeks to start to see a difference. if you start now with some simple changes in eating, and especially with some simple changes in workout, you can get where you want to be.

let us know how its going or if you have more questions.
    Great advise. I would recommend this as well. It's like he took the words right out of my mouth. Allot of great points that should be looked after. Great answer.
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Mar 6, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Just rememeber if your exercising, you may not lose the weight because you gain muscle, but you do lose pant sizes. When I diet, I don't go by weight, but how I feel and how my clothes fit, especially when I am doing lots of exercise. Muscle weighs more then fat. So don't get discourage if you notice your pants are fitting a little lose but your not losing weight. I also do not drink any sugary drinks or sodas. I bought this water jug that is 2 quarts and I drink two of those a day and I only drink water with my meals. You will notice you are not as bloated when your not drinking sodas or sugary drinks. Always drink a glass of water before you eat something because people tend to mistake dehydration with hunger. If you get tired of plain water, get those flavored water things or add some lemmons.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Please don't post the same question more than once...

Threads need to me merged.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/weight...ze-191286.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pounds per Week? [ 5 Answers ]

All right, I asked a question regarding biking but this is more of a weight loss question. Currently I weigh about 195 lbs at 6' (5' - 11.5"). I started at about 205 and have a target weight of 175 (-185) either is a step in the right direction. But I am trying to figure out how long it will...

Need to loses a few pounds [ 2 Answers ]

How do I stay in shape?

Summer Switch on Furnace- on or off in summer? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older model Carrier furnace for central heat in the basement; the AC unit is newer and outside. I noticed that the Carrier unit has a "Summer Switch". Should it be set to off during the summer months?

Pounds abbreviation [ 2 Answers ]

Where did the lb. for pounds come from:confused:

I need to loose a few pounds! [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I weigh 155 pounds and I'm 16 really wats that I want a nice flat stomach I mean I got good boobs and an and nice face but I need to know how to loose weight fast and the healthiest way to?? / helpppppppppppppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:o

View more questions Search