Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    banakns Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 08:53 PM
    F1 Status+self Employment
    Hi,
    I am a student in US with F1 visa status. I started a website recently and put Google adsense and paypal donations. I have 2 urgent questions:

1. Is it legal to run a website that earns money throud ads with F1 status in USA?
    2. Am I required to file a tax form for any sort of donations I receive?

I tried to Google about those questions but could not find any appropriate answer. Will someone help me figure this out?

Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2006, 09:37 PM
    Banakns:

1) It is legal.

2) How much are we talking about?

Jan 28, 2006, 10:55 PM
    First of all, thanks for such a quick response. I am feeling good now!

I have launched ny site obly for about a month.. I guess I will get about 100-150 on my first Google pay check.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Banakns:

1) It is legal.

2) How much are we talking about?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2006, 12:48 AM
    Banakns:

Despite the fact you call it "donations", the IRS considers them payments for products or services provided and therefore taxable income.

For this reason, you must track this income as well as the associated expenses. You pay taxes on the net (gross income minus allowable expenses).

Both the gross income and the expenses are reported on Schedule C. Track both carefully and keep good records. Report it honestly and pay the required taxes and you should have no problems with the IRS.

Jan 29, 2006, 09:53 AM
    Thanks. I will keep records of everything. I have no problem paying taxes, I was just not sure if it is legal with F1 visa status. Thanks again. You are really nice and help me a lot!
    kot Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 09:23 AM
    Hi!
    I have the similar problem. I am on F-1 visa and want to sell jewelry made by me, just couple of samples. I found a site, some News letter for international student (//infohost.nmt.edu/~stuaffs/Intl/Newsletters/May2003.pdf), where they say self-employment is illegal for F-1. Though I remember I saw somewhere info that things like writing articles or books and getting money for that is legal. So I am confused.
    1. What is consider to be a self-employment? Is a little bit of artistry is illegal?
    2. If it is legal. How do I state it in my taxes?
    Thank you
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2006, 02:49 PM
    1) Self-employment is any activity where you earn a significant amount of money selling either products (such as jewelry) or services (such as tax preparation or consulting). Your activity may be technically illegal, but unless you are making a large profit (say anything in excess of $20,000), I would not worry about it.

2) If you make a profit (and even if you show a loss), it needs to be reported on Schedule C. There is a provision for Schedule C on Form 1040NR.
    kot Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 04:50 PM
    Thank you, I see now
    simplysrujan Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 06:09 PM
    On f-1 visa, you are eligible to open a C- corp and make checks payable to your corporation. However it is illegal to pull the money out for your personal use. YOu can spend the money for company use and write off taxes. YOu should be able to pull the money out once you get your green card.
    PS: I'm not an expert but telling you what I know. PLease contact some experts to confirm.
    casha84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 08:18 PM
    Hi.
    I have a small question about self employment on f visa too. I became a Beauty Consultant for Mary Kay. Is it illegal? Because it's a self employment, they wanted me to give them the tax number or #SS, but I didn't. The Mary Kay sent me a letter that unless I don't give them those numbers "the IRS requires that Mary Kay withold 28% of all my commissions, prizes and awards effective immediately". What should I do now?
    Thank You in advance !
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 19, 2009, 11:38 AM
    My original post is OVER three years old, and my outlook has been modified somewhat by research and consultation with other tax consultants.

Being a Mary Kay consultant is definitely self-employment (I have several tax clients who are Mary Kay consultants).

You should give the Mary Kay company your Social Security number (which should have been issued to you as part of the F-1 visa process).

However, being a Mary Kay consultant is also a definite violation of your F-1 visa, because such work is in no way part of your field of study (unless you perhaps are studying entrepeneurialship). However, given the general low levels of income earned while doing Mary Kay work, I doubt that the USCIS will notice or even care that much.

If you become a HUGE success in selling Mary Kay products (it DOES happen; it just has NOT happened with any of MY clients), then the USCIS may take notice and investigate further.

Regardless of what the USCIS does, the IRS will expect you to report the income and pay whatever taxes are due.
    azabunny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 02:24 PM
    I am on a F-2 visa, meaning a dependent of F-1 holder. I also want to do Mary Kay and DoTerra, an essential oil company. Am I forbidden to have any kind of income on this visa type? I'm not eligible for a social security number, but I have a tax identification number. Can I make some money?
    Senior Tax Expert

May 30, 2012, 03:15 PM
    Making money in that fashion is FORBIDDEN under your current visa.

If you do so, you risk having the visa revoked and being forced to return to your home country.

Sorry!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paranormal Employment [ 30 Answers ]

;) Hi! I was wondering, is there any "paranormal jobs" here in western Michigan available? I mean working in the paranoramal/investigative field that you can get involved in as a job?

Regarding H1b employment [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question that if a person is employed on H1-B visa, can he have a misc income, that is either from work from home kind of job where you get a 1099 form, is it legal to do this kind of work and earn side income apart from your H1-B employment. In this case when you file return apart...

F1 and self-employment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am on F-1 visa and want to sell jewelry made by me, just couple of samples. I found a site, some News letter for international student (//infohost.nmt.edu/~stuaffs/Intl/Newsletters/May2003.pdf), where they say self-employment is illegal for F-1. Though I remember I saw somewhere info that...

Employment [ 1 Answers ]

How do organization ensure that they are hiring the best people and putting them into the right position?

Employment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Will I Find Employment Soon? My Birthday Is 4/28/49. Thank You, Sharon

View more questions Search